TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dablackdude989
March 27 1992 (32 year old)
JaMac
March 30 1981 (43 year old)
Vengeance_TSGK
April 01 1990 (34 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 27 Mar 2024 Thu 28 Mar 2024 Fri 29 Mar 2024 Sat 30 Mar 2024 Sun 31 Mar 2024 Mon 01 Apr 2024 Tue 02 Apr 2024
Birthday dablackdude989  

Birthday JaMac  

Birthday Vengeance_TSGK  

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 21:29
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » Tips & Tricks
Unlocking extra frame/sec
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Zog Ecosse

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 22:38    Post subject:  Unlocking extra frame/sec  

I recently download updated nvidia drivers and noticed I was getting a slight improvement in my fps rate. For the first time I noticed it had gone slightly over 300 fps. I thought this was sort of odd because the default maximum value used to be 300fps.
I started to progressivley increase the fps limit in console using the command fps_max xxx. In my case I setteled at fps_max 1000 and that was when my gfx card maxed out.
I was momentaraly achieving 999 fps but the screen shot below is where my rig settled down on a static shot. I am using a i7 9xx series processor, a bfg 9800 factory overclocked card with 1gig vram and multicore rendering enabled.
In order to make the console the adjustment launch dm2 and alter the fps_max value before you launch a game and that will be ok for your entire session unless you completely crash out of dm.
Firstly however, you need to calculate the the value to use if you are using a lcd monitor.

fps_max xxx where xxx = 1000/monitor sensitivity in ms
In my case, 1000/2ms = fps_max 500.
There is no point in me using a higher setting because my monitor is not capable of displying any more than 500 fps. If you are using a crt monitor you can ignore this step because the maximum will be determined by your gfx card. Set fps_max to 1000 and then use a value slightly above your observed maximum.

Just to pre-empt any discussion on what the human eye can actually see, I have done a bit of research and the and the accepted value is 220 fps with a theoretical higher limit of 500+ fps in certain light conditions.

The point of setting you fps higher than you can actually see is that some maps have notorious fps blackspots and fps drop dramaticaly during fast action sequences containing a lot of pyrotechnics. If you are achieving 200fps now and take a 150 fps hit you are gonna see lag. If yo are running at 400 fps and take the same hit you will hardly notice it.

The other + is that todays laser mouse has a typical sensitivity of 1ms and the higher you fps the better your screen tracks what the mouse initiates. (better hit registration)
fps.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   233.05 KB
 Viewed   661 Time(s)

fps.jpg

"You don't have to be mad to live on the planet Zog but it definitely helps"
Tharg of Zog
Rublis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 22:54    Post subject:  

no point setting max FPS higher that ur monitor hertz
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 00:50    Post subject:  

Nice find Zog!
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3BA901DF57014CE8%21110&cid=3BA901DF57014CE8

Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:27; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:26    Post subject:  

Rublis wrote:

No car for you Rublis...

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Nice find Borg!
Borg?

Nice one Zog, The explanation about the fps hit is understood but with regards to the display refresh rate, if your monitor's refresh rate is 60 mhz, anything faster won't show.

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:28    Post subject:  

Shimmy_TSGK wrote:
Rublis wrote:

No car for you Rublis...

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Nice find Borg!
Borg?

Nice one Zog, The explanation about the fps hit is understood but with regards to the display refresh rate, if your monitor's refresh rate is 60 mhz, anything faster won't show.

I took the car gta style Razz

my bad it's late I knew what I ment Laughing
I asked to post on forums. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
Zog Ecosse

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 02:40    Post subject:  

What Rubls says is perfectly correct as it applies to a crt monitor. Without getting too tecnical the fps in a crt is governed by the refresh rate because it is an analogue device when it actually comes to generating the picture on the screen. It takes a finite time for the electron beams to scan from the top to the botom of the screen building up the picture a line at a time and switching the beam on and off at the approriarte place.
It is easy to get confused between when it comes to a lcd array. The rate is governed by how fast the individual pixels can switch on and off and they do it at the same time. Thats digital. It was abysmal to begin with. A typical good early lcd array performed far worse than a crt monitor. A grey to grey response time of 12ms is equivelent to a maximum of 83 fps. At the same time you coud get a crt monitor that could do about 180. This is within the liftime of hl2dm.

At the end of the day our visual interface with the monitor is also analoge and that can not be improved.

If you are getting bored with this just ignore it. If you got a an older monitor, gfx card and if you can't get any way near 300 fps to begin with, you are wasting you time.

As I eluded to earlier on, the proof of the pudding is in unzoomed 357 headshots. I got more in an hour tonight as I normally do in a week.

Laughing

"You don't have to be mad to live on the planet Zog but it definitely helps"
Tharg of Zog
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 02:48    Post subject:  

fps_max 500 or fps_max 1000 in autoexec.cfg Wink
Freelancer
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 23:32    Post subject:  

Actualy i dont see how it will affect your gameplay with more than 300 FPS...
I had 500 fps on HL2dm on a server with other players , but i didnt see any noticable improvement in it =\ But thats just my oppinin.
That is good for fragvids tho. The more frames you get , the better you can edit it. Wink
nice one Zog ^^

Cheers

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:52    Post subject:  

Link: http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_8.html

Quote:

Update: newer Source 2007-based commands added below. Thanks in particular to Stephen Porter for details on the multi-core related commands:

ai_expression_optimization [0,1] - If set to 1, disables NPC expressions when you can't see them, potentially improving performance.

datacachesize [0-128] - Determines the amount in MB to allocate to the game's general data caches. The default is 32MB, and the maximum is 128MB. Note that in testing this in recent Source games, altering this value even to 128MB can actually reduce the size of certain caches which are already larger by default (or have been made larger by the Heapsize command), so on balance now I recommend leaving this at its default. Note further - if you see strange white textures after altering this setting, return it to its default.

r_threaded_particles [0,1] - Determines whether the particle system is multi-threaded. This should be set to 1 on systems with multi-core CPUs.

r_threaded_renderables [0,1] - Determines whether part of the rendering system is multi-threaded. This can be set to 1 on systems with multi-core CPUs to potentially improve performance.

mem_max_heapsize [MB] - This command tells the Source Engine the maximum amount of memory to be allocated to the system heap. If you are using the -Heapsize command line variable (see previous page), then you may need to increase this value from its default of 256MB to allow a larger heapsize to be used for certain caches.

snd_mix_async [0,1] - If set to 1, this command will allow multi-core CPUs to run most of the sound engine in parallel with the renderer, which can improve performance and reduce stuttering.

mat_queue_mode [-1,0,1,2] - This setting determines the threading mode the material system uses. A value of -1 uses the default for your system, a value of 0 uses synchronous single thread, 1 uses queued single threaded mode, and value of 2 uses multi-threaded mode. Many users report performance increases on multi-core systems when setting this variable to a value of 2.

For autoexec.cfg
"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Your-Steam-User-Name-here\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\cfg\autoexec.cfg"
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » TSGK General » Tips & Tricks
Jump to: