TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1337_Byte
April 18 1993 (31 year old)
bullock007
April 21 1970 (54 year old)
DogSoldier
April 19 1974 (50 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 17 Apr 2024 Thu 18 Apr 2024 Fri 19 Apr 2024 Sat 20 Apr 2024 Sun 21 Apr 2024 Mon 22 Apr 2024 Tue 23 Apr 2024

Birthday 1337_Byte  
Birthday DogSoldier  

Birthday bullock007  

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 17:31
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
Suffixes
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]  
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 14:15    Post subject:  Suffixes  

Map Suffixes for Deathmatch

This is how to use/identify map suffixes/extensions

dm_ = Deathmatch

For a first map release it will be in beta stage.

Beta 1 (b1 for short)

dm_mapname_b1
The beta (b1) stages are likely to have small bugs that a mapper has missed.
Also will be the first map release to public or map testers.

dm_mapname_b2
The beta 2 (b2) would be a more stable map version with bugs fixed/found.
Feedback from public or map testers would suggest the bugs if any found.
Also bad frame rate in an area would be suggested to be fixed, design improvements might be suggested by public also.

When you think the map is out of a beta stage and is stable on windows servers and Linux it would be time to change the suffix name to Release Candidate.

Release Candidate 1 (rc1 for short)
dm_mapname_rc1

The Release Candidate 1 (rc1) for a map is unlikely to have any big bugs/problems.

The Release Candidate versions (rc1, rc2 etc) of a map are likely to have just small gameplay improvements and tweaks. This could be placing the weapon SLAM in a higher area of a map or removing all SLAMS apart for one. Also making the weapon placement more balanced for players.

E.G. There will be a weapon near by a player spawn, and more powerful weapons based in opposite ends of map to keep player not staying in one area of map.
E.G. Not all weapon types are at middle of map (this is not balanced)

Other small tweaks could be physic prop placements HP/Suit the list goes on.
(Overall small tweaks that helps gameplay in some way)

When a mapper has made a map that has gone through _b1 _b2... _rc1 _rc2... stages etc fixed all bugs, done lots of map testing, gameplay tweaks, and used all useful feedback from public, then it will be time to make a final map version, if the mapper fills he/she is ready.

dm_mapname_final

_Final
When a map has the suffix _final it clearly shows it's the final map version and obviously means there will be no more updates from the mapper.

In a final map version it's likely to be more polished this means texture improvements in Render or Detail. This could be Carpet textures looking more real with detail, or Tiles being more shiny ingame for a more real look. Also new graphical effects are likely to be added in final, this could be improved Sun, dust particles, lighting effects and so on. Final gamplay tweaks might be added if the mapper fills this needed and was not covered in Release Candidate (rc1,rc2 etc) versions.

Final map versions must be tested on windows and Linux servers for final testing before release to public.

E.G. of final update list
http://gtamikes-maps.piczo.com/dm_battle_lobby_final

If a map has no suffixes/extensions it can be unclear to a host if the map is the first version (maybe old) or a final version. b1, rc1 etc and final make it more obvious to identify what map version stage it's at and makes life easier.

gtamike Cool

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3BA901DF57014CE8%21110&cid=3BA901DF57014CE8

Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:17; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 14:20    Post subject:  

nice post mike, be nice to have some format for map names that everyone adheres to. Sticky!!!!! Cool

I hope that packet gets lost forever in network oblivion
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 19:45    Post subject:  

StonedCabbage wrote:
nice post mike, be nice to have some format for map names that everyone adheres to. Sticky!!!!! Cool

This is GTA Mike way of view concerning map development, especialy the flavor of tagging the goldmaster version as _final, which is not recommended at all for differents reasons and an obvious one called anticipation of the unforeseen.
But the rest seems fine.

---------

If you'd like to tag your map following the dev standard then the following recommendation could be usefull:

- Choose a main name that you'r sure isn't already took, then be sure that the main name you choose isn't also close to another one already existing.

You can use HL2dm Consortium search engine for maps to verify but still not dispensate you to do further search somewhere else:
http://hl2dm-consortium.tsgk.com/index.php?mode=maps

- Map name all lower case including prefixes, suffixes and dev tag (if any).

- The prefixes should be:
-- tdm_ : when the map has been made for a TDM game (different spawn point for Rebels and Combines) and require the server to be run in TDM to work properly.
-- coop_ : for cooperativ maps.
-- ctf_ : if Capture the flag gameplay involved.
-- rp_ : for role playing game play.
-- dm_ : for anything else which cannot be categorized and compatible with any gameplay (DM / TDM).

- Avoid using anything else than a gameplay indication as a prefix (ex: your name, a clan name / tag etc etc).

There is a lot more prefixes that can be seen, like surf_, js_, gm_, what ever the prefix must be an indication of the gameplay, there are enough prefixes over to not have to invent more of them.
This help server owner to know if a particular mode must be set on the server to run the map properly, also help players to spot what they are looking for in the servers list in term of gameplay.

Concerning the main name it is up to you, make it simple using common charts like, 0-9 a-z _ - avoid using dot and the following charts [] () @ ! , you can use _ to separate your clan name for exemple (if the autor of course).

The suffix is likely to be the dev version of the map considering that you released it to public prior its goldmaster version.

There is no real reason for why you would call it a beta or a release candidate but there is logical enumeration between these tag, the stage:

Alpha Stage, _a# or _alpha# : is the first stage of development, mainly your first design as preview of what your map is going to be, showing main idea, this stage should be as a presentation only and not to be spread to be widely played, more to be used localy until you reach a working structure and stable basement with a ready to be tested work (become beta).

Beta Stage, _b# or _beta# : succeed the alpha stage, the map is ready to be released as testing purpose, with the goal to improve gameplay, bugs fix, optimization, until the map reach a close to final shape.

Release Candidate Stage, _rc# : the release candidate is the final stage before the goldmaster, including all the fix of the beta, is supposed to be as stable as the final, just a security to be sure everything is ready for the final copy.

Goldmaster (final map) : there should be no tag for a final, a final is the finished product which then gets free of any dev tag at all, it could (should) be for exemple the recompilation of the lastest RC, with just the _rc suffix less.

There is no obligation passing by each of these stages if you don't want, you can start at Beta, or RC, but must follow the order of stage if used (no beta after a rc).

Back to the anticipation of the unforeseen, which habitually comes after the goldmaster, since you got the final out you'r out of dev tag (execpt _v if one) and because you didn't added _final to your map name you will be free for patching without confusing everyone.
A patch comes to a final product, a patch can be moderate or important, it avoid starting a new branch (new _v#).

One major patch that has been seen lately was since Valve fixed the bug of decal not being shown when embeded with the bsp, many mappers didn't bothered to include them until the bug was fixed.
Problem, what to do with all these previous maps not having the decal included? patch.

Example:

dm_killbox_bs_tsgk_v3 has been patched 2 times after its final:
dm_killbox_bs_tsgk_v3 -> dm_killbox_bs_tsgk_v3a -> dm_killbox_bs_tsgk_v3b

dm_killbox_kbh_2 -> dm_killbox_kbh_2p

You can also use the suffix _fix especialy if your map name has no version number like, dm_mymapname -> dm_mymapname_fix but this could be confusing.
Recommendation would be then to follow the _p system (_patch):
dm_mymapname_p1 -> dm_mymapname_p2 ...

Patch is post final release only.

If you made the mistake to tag your final map _final be ready to confuse everyone with your dm_mymapname_final_p (if patched), also if you ever come to release a new branch, like a version 2 of your map, same problem, you would confuse everyone again with your_final and _v2 or even better _v2_final or _final_v3 which one is the lastest? go figure yourself.
So, no _final in goldmaster version.

Also, never ever rename the file name of a map, a file name after compilation is permanent and cannot be changed, to change the name of the file you will have to recompile the map under the new file name.
Changing the name of the map without recompiling this map under the new name would break cubemap and others internal path, causing errors.
New name = new compilation.

New branches are new version of the map, _v2, _v3 ... every branch start with its own dev stage, _v2_b2, _v3_rc1.
Indicate a new version including major change from the previous goldmaster (ex: reshape, resize, new theme etc), the version number is full part of the map name.
Exception to _v1 which is considered first final release ever so not indicated.

Final exemple would be that, sort by earlier to lastest (not all versions listed):

dm_killbox_tsgk_b1
dm_killbox_tsgk_rc2
dm_killbox_tsgk_rc3
dm_killbox_tsgk
dm_killbox_tsgk_v2_b1
dm_killbox_tsgk_v2_b2
dm_killbox_tsgk_v2
dm_killbox_tsgk_v3_rc2
dm_killbox_tsgk_v3
dm_killbox_tsgk_v3a
dm_killbox_tsgk_v3b
dm_killbox_tsgk_v8_rc3
etc...

All of these are recommendations for map makers.
For server owners the best way to know what is the final version of a map (especialy if not following any dev stage) is to contact its autor if known.

StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 22:34    Post subject:  

A good sticky anyway, for experienced and new map dev's

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 22:44    Post subject: RE: Deathmatch  

The topic is about about Deathmatch, I didn't really fill the need to talk about ctf_ Suffixes etc in a dm_ topic.
I think dm_killbox_final started the _final (way back)
People have used _final the right way.
http://hl2mp.tsgk.com/index.php?mode=search&game=hl2mp&st=map&q=_final
The word _final also saves hosts time looking on the internet for the up to update Release Candidate could be 9 out there. But when they see _final they know this is the Final can't be any simpler then that.
If a mapper does not want to add updates anymore add _final and move on, map has to be 100% ready, you will know when. Wink
I was going to talk about V1, V2, V3 etc not really needed unless the map has gone on a very big change.
E.G. dm_council_tsgk_v2 To dm_council_tsgk_v3
(very big structure change in layout)
Why was the word Final ever invented if no one uses it. Rolling Eyes
Hope this clears things up for people
gtamike

Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Tue Jul 14, 2009 14:32; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 00:13    Post subject: Re: RE: Deathmatch  

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
The topic is about about Deathmatch
Most people use _final the right way.
http://hl2mp.tsgk.com/index.php?mode=search&game=hl2mp&st=map&q=_final

http://hl2dm-consortium.tsgk.com/index.php?mode=search&game=hl2mp&st=map&q=final
172 maps over 3921, indeed most of them use the right way, doubt that the 3749 maps are unfinished.

And your link to the wikipedia for the word final does confirm it, it is not used in devlopement.
Although RC is for exemple, so it wasn't an omission.

But, as already mentionned, everyone is free to name their map as they want and use _final, execpt if they want to follow software versioning rules, then no _final.

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 00:31    Post subject:  

Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:52; edited 2 times in total
Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 01:24    Post subject:  

I second Osi on the removal of final. If all maps had final around it would seem a bit odd. Once the map is released strip down everything, it gives it a professional look otherwise we'd have dm_lockdown_final, dm_overwatch_final.

Tis not a mess Mikemeister, nothing wrong with a healthy debate Very Happy You made your point, Osiman made his point no need to get defensive Very Happy

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:04    Post subject:  

I'd love to get the old wooden spoon out here Twisted Evil , but i got lost what where arguing about Embarassed

Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 19:24    Post subject:  

i don't map for source (mainly because the tools are primitive), but on wars i never add Final to the name, looks ugly.

I also think those dm_ things look gay, but that's just me most overworked maps have like dm_this_beta_final_v43_bullshit
StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:00    Post subject:  

Xmeagol wrote:
i don't map for source (mainly because the tools are primitive), but on wars i never add Final to the name, looks ugly.

I also think those dm_ things look gay, but that's just me most overworked maps have like dm_this_beta_final_v43_bullshit

I do find the dm_ tag useful, tells you what type of map it is and what game style.

i.e ctf_, puzzle_

everyone has there own way of doing things at the end of the day, i do web development in PHP and stuff and that has naming conventions for lots of different things but I don't follow them simply cus it's a pain in the ass, i picked up lots of bad habits because im self taught, and no one else is going to be reusing my code, hence no need to follow them.

Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:34    Post subject:  

StonedCabbage wrote:

everyone has there own way of doing things at the end of the day, i do web development in PHP and stuff and that has naming conventions for lots of different things but I don't follow them simply cus it's a pain in the ass, i picked up lots of bad habits because im self taught, and no one else is going to be reusing my code, hence no need to follow them.

Yeah. guidelines are bogus, a failed attempt at organization.

people should flow with what they like to do and not how others want you to.
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 21:08    Post subject:  

Pffft.

I know ziltch about what conventions are used for maps. But I know a lot about IT development. If mapping conventions follow software development conventions (and there are standardised conventions for the industry) then the term final is to be avoided. As was said this is because nothing is ever final (and it can confuse version control applications)

In programming there will always be another patch/update until it runs out of support / discontinued. Perhaps not in mapping (indeed some maps are never finished). There's no harm in having a dm_mapname_final except that if dm_mapname_final_v2 comes out it will look a bit silly.

Mike is (was) trying to set a standard. Osiris is simply ponting out that maps more often follow an IT development convention. Mike is free to suggest his standard and use whatever map names he wants. Indeed, I see his dm_attack_house_tsgk_finalwhich he finalised a few days ago follows his mapping convention and does not follow the convention used on all other tsgk maps.

This is a discussion forum - not a message board. I fail to see how anyone could take offence over a discussion (at worst a debate). It's not helpful in deleting the entire post, it only serves to remind people to reply with history.

Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen with all the fat taken out
Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 21:28    Post subject:  

Xmeagol wrote:
(mainly because the tools are primitive)

Compared to a sdk nobody uses I think primitive must be popular with mappers.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 21:29    Post subject:  

Yeah you will not see software with _final at the end, cause of hackers, holes, cracks, compatible problems e.g. Vista (at start) list goes on.

Maps are more of art most of the list above does not really come in to mapping e.g. cracks, some but it's not pages pages of software code.

When a mapper has finished with a map well it's finished. Laughing

StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:03    Post subject:  

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Yeah you will not see software with _final at the end, cause of hackers, holes, cracks, compatible problems e.g. Vista (at start) list goes on.

Maps are more of art most of the list above does not really come in to mapping e.g. cracks, some but it's not pages pages of software code.

When a mapper has finished with a map well it's finished. Laughing

Imagine if Win 98 followed that convention,

Windows 98 Final_NowFinal_FinallyFinal_JustaboutFinal_Awwww Screw it

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:07    Post subject:  

Mapping is like a panting, the artist draws the picture, then adds colour, detail, tweaks maybe to picture (like shape).
when the artist can't add anymore or fills it's just right it will be a Final panting, with no more updates.

Mapping is the same but more a 3D view and 3D place to move about in.
And software is software endless updates...

Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:21    Post subject:  

Interestingly, the next Office is called Office 14 because MS use release numbers internally regarding their Office versions. Office 2007 was Office 12 to them. Office 14 skips 13 because MS didn't want to call it after an unlucky number. I kid you not.

Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:57    Post subject:  

Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote:
Xmeagol wrote:
(mainly because the tools are primitive)

Compared to a sdk nobody uses I think primitive must be popular with mappers.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it isn't shit, hammer from source is pretty much the same with the one from goldensource, which is 10 years old.
one of the only differences i noticed between HL1 and HL2 hammer's is the change from MAP to VTF (not entirely sure tho)

Innovation, and efficiency are the key words, not popularity

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Mapping is like a panting, the artist draws the picture, then adds colour, detail, tweaks maybe to picture (like shape).

that's true, especially with brush based tools
Freelancer
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:43    Post subject:  

just in the end has to be a blank spot... shows proffesionalism , as Shimmy-san Said Very Happy But _final tag is ANNOYING, dont get me wrong but there are more than enought _final maps Very Happy
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 00:18    Post subject:  

Very Happy
mona_lisa_final.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.79 KB
 Viewed   262 Time(s)

mona_lisa_final.jpg

Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 00:23    Post subject:  

Diet H2O_TSGK wrote:
Interestingly, the next Office is called Office 14 because MS use release numbers internally regarding their Office versions. Office 2007 was Office 12 to them. Office 14 skips 13 because MS didn't want to call it after an unlucky number. I kid you not.

same as the Japs. The canon powershot series skipped the number four. hence powershot g1,g2,g3 then g5 Very Happy I love the japs.

As for Breen's remark over the sdk, dude as we keep telling you go enjoy your crysis else where Very Happy remember what it sez under our forums. "hl2dm clan" you keep forgetting! ROAAAAR! <3

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 00:29    Post subject:  

this thread is fulla red hot pumpin love Laughing Laughing Laughing

Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 02:00    Post subject:  

Shimmy_TSGK wrote:
Diet H2O_TSGK wrote:

same as the Japs. The canon powershot series skipped the number four. hence powershot g1,g2,g3 then g5 Very Happy I love the japs.

As for Breen's remark over the sdk, dude as we keep telling you go enjoy your crysis else where Very Happy remember what it sez under our forums. "hl2dm clan" you keep forgetting! ROAAAAR! <3

I wasn't talking about crysis, i was talking about tools.

I do agree with the professionalism part, underscores are not sexy at all.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 15:11    Post subject:  

Diet H2O_TSGK wrote:
Indeed, I see his dm_attack_house_tsgk_finalwhich he finalised a few days ago follows his mapping convention and does not follow the convention used on all other tsgk maps.

Map has been renamed now
http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?t=4000

Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]  
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
Jump to: