TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eXs|DanielAndres
April 29 1978 (46 year old)
Freelancer
April 27 1991 (33 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Hahahahahaha
April 29 1971 (53 year old)
Juize_TSGK
April 27 1989 (35 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Spitfire
April 27 1991 (33 year old)
TeamScorpion
April 24 1991 (33 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Tue 23 Apr 2024 Wed 24 Apr 2024 Thu 25 Apr 2024 Fri 26 Apr 2024 Sat 27 Apr 2024 Sun 28 Apr 2024 Mon 29 Apr 2024

Birthday TeamScorpion  

Birthday Freelancer  
Birthday Juize_TSGK  
Birthday Spitfire  

Birthday eXs|DanielAndres  
Birthday Hahahahahaha  
The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 07:04
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK Servers » Problem Reporting
WhiteNoise case of mute
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 06:46    Post subject:    

I just wanted to drop a note and tell you my thoughts on this. It seems to be a bit annoying for me lately. I'm in the server these days and asking a question and more and more people are responding by changing their names. Also, I like playing on tsgk servers but my friends no longer want to play on them because they have been muted for whatever reason. And finally, the servers seem to be empty most of the time now. I can only wonder if all of these things are connected.

At the very least it seems to make sense to at least define what is meant by "swearing". "Swearing" is such a subjective term. Most of the people I play with have never been to this forum and would have no idea that there is even a rule on swearing, let alone the word "noob" being considered swearing Shocked . I was shocked when I read that here. I now wonder if I can say words like "suck"? Depends on how you use it as to whether it's a "swear" word. So what words are considered offensive?

I just bring this up because I find myself playing more and more on other servers because either tsgk servers are all empty (which they are alot these days....except for maybe one across the globe with 3 digit ping) or my friends don't play here anymore. I don't enjoy playing on those other servers as much as I do tsgk so it's getting annoying.

Maybe don't make the mute permanent at first? Or at least be more descriptive about exactly what "swearing" is.

Thanks for reading
Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 07:09    Post subject:  

Commonly on other online FPS game servers, you will find a zero tolerance for swearing and no warning accompanied with an insant permanent ban.

The forum address is on 24/7 scroll in the servers and it takes seconds to type that into your browser and visit the forum, the main TSGK website is also scrolled 24/7 and features a direct link to the forum.

I don't see why someone would feel the need to use any kind of negative language during a game.

I live in the United States, I find a server of ours to play in at any normal time of day with activity sometimes mutiple choices of US servers, one thing I notice though is the server empties very quickly as soon as a player arrives and says "lame" or "suck" or "luck" etc etc after he is killed.I know for a fact that is a connection I see it personally happening.
[DOH] Mick

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22    Post subject:  

Please can you put up a list of the words you cant say so we can debate them to see if more words need to be added .

Can you take off the ( ****** has been muted ) from the client side I don't need to no if ****** has been muted and find it off putting when the message keeps coming up .

Question If you cant give us a list of the words we cant say can you give us a list of the words we can say .

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 13:36    Post subject:  

WhiteNoise wrote:
I just wanted to drop a note and tell you my thoughts on this. It seems to be a bit annoying for me lately. I'm in the server these days and asking a question and more and more people are responding by changing their names. Also, I like playing on tsgk servers but my friends no longer want to play on them because they have been muted for whatever reason. And finally, the servers seem to be empty most of the time now. I can only wonder if all of these things are connected.

At the very least it seems to make sense to at least define what is meant by "swearing". "Swearing" is such a subjective term. Most of the people I play with have never been to this forum and would have no idea that there is even a rule on swearing, let alone the word "noob" being considered swearing Shocked . I was shocked when I read that here. I now wonder if I can say words like "suck"? Depends on how you use it as to whether it's a "swear" word. So what words are considered offensive?

I just bring this up because I find myself playing more and more on other servers because either tsgk servers are all empty (which they are alot these days....except for maybe one across the globe with 3 digit ping) or my friends don't play here anymore. I don't enjoy playing on those other servers as much as I do tsgk so it's getting annoying.

Maybe don't make the mute permanent at first? Or at least be more descriptive about exactly what "swearing" is.

Thanks for reading

Superb post.

Are those posts about you:

http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?t=906
http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?p=8440#8440
http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1429

[DOH] Mick wrote:
Question If you cant give us a list of the words we cant say can you give us a list of the words we can say .

Everything execpt, cocksuker, faggot, nigger... and co, the kind of words you wouldn't learn to your children execpt if you want them to be auto-muted.
Don't forget our fav, "noob" with a benefit of a larger quota than the others words, so when they get caught by using the word "noob" this means they extremly abused it.

----

I will not repeat it, if they get caught they went too far, there is a quota, this means you can swear, but not forever.
For your information, only 1 to 2 players (sometime 0) are caught everyday over 2000 active players per days, mostly very new players connecting for the pleasur of freely insulting others.
Those 1 - 2 players who can empty a server in a minute, sometime regular get caught and that's their matter (considering their chat history at the time they were caught).
And since this mute system has been on, the players number per day has been increased at TSGK (counting from after the terrible Valve update which almost killed this game a year ago).
This system isn't a mass mute industry, and only the best of the best are muted.

They can at least claim to be a kind of elite with only 128 muted over 570000 registered players.

And for the statistics lovers, so, before Valve released this update a year ago, the one that triggered constant crash, TSGK was arround 4000 actives players / days with 1200 new players / days, some weeks after this update TSGK was arround 1000 active players per day, then has drop to 700 active players per days, there was nothing to do exepct to keep the hope that Valve would give more attention to HL2dm, which they didn't and even worse, broken the chat, broken the VAC connection etc etc...
Some irreductibles have keep playing this terrible game and we do have fervent HL2dm community supporter as Keeper (plugin scripter) which we can say are the main reasons for why it still alive today, the strong community, the players who respect this game and give interest to it.
The lastest Valve update concerning HL2dm has been probably the best one since years, at least for Linux servers, some would claim it isn't Valve fault, but admin fault, yes, it is our fault for running their half-finished servers maybe.

After improving the statitics (additions) and providing a frustrated-free ambience, the players per days at TSGK has been increased weeks by weeks, today some week-end are arround 2000 active players per days and an average of 1600 active players per days during the week days.
Also, games like TF2 are not helping, most of the HL2dm players disgusted by the HL2dm lack of attention, have permanently moved to others games (and not to others HL2dm servers for more).
Any public HL2dm admin could confirm that (and they don't run an auto-mute system which is supposed, by some, to empty the server, execpt from a positivly selected minority).

Even if the HL2dm servers are bugging, we tend to keep our clean from the buggers.
And please report false-positiv only don't bother this forum with your own problem of being proof eligible for the auto-mute or propose a rules modification which would fit your needs (and the one of the 127 others) at this time.
Change your attitude in game, not the rules.
Thanks.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 16:40    Post subject:  

I can't argue with any statistics. I can only go on what my expereince has been. And that is that a lot more people have responded to me by changing their names and the servers are indeed empty much more so than they used to be. I live in the US and typically the servers are empty most of the day until later in the evening and even then there is only one server which will have anyone in it. The servers I used to play on all the time (because my ping was lower) are always empty now. I could send you screen shots of my game browser if anyone cared.

You are correct though that alot of other factors may have something to do with it. The lack of support for hl2dm and the number of crashes makes it in some ways probably one of the poorest fps games I've ever owned. That very well could have something to do with it. I had not thought of that when I wrote the first post but I will concede you could be correct here.

As for the mute rule, we will have to just agree to disagree. I have NEVER played any other fps game that instituted such a thing. Again, I'm not disagreeing with ghost's statement. I'm just telling you what my experience has been and I've never seen such a thing before. I've also never seen any rule so harshly enforced without some reasonable warning. I don't believe that you can reasonably expect most casual players (non-pro) to leave the game and follow a link that's being displayed on the screen while they're playing. I would never link out of the game because my vid card would crash the game and when I actually quit the game because I've finished playing, I'm never going to remember to "go to that website that kept flashing on the screen". Not only are you asking them to link out but you're also asking them to peruse the forums to by chance find nuggets like "noob" not being allowed (which is kind of lost in the writing).

As for the quota issue, it seems you are more interested in not allowing anyone who might abuse the word "noob" from chatting on the servers. The fact that they might NEVER use the word if they knew it was against the rules does not concern you. An analogy would be the government making up a rule that you can no longer drive 75 miles an hour on the freeway because it's just too dangerous. They don't advertise the change nor do they change the signs. They just arrest those that drive 75 because they're dangerous drivers. Same thing. The officer responding by saying "we only pulled you over after you went 75 MPH 10 times", is no consolation.

So you didn't answer ....is the word "suck" allowed? "Swearing" still needs to be clarified IMO.
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 17:22    Post subject:  

I will not argue anymore, so only usefull posts concerning this system will receive an answer.

WhiteNoise wrote:
So you didn't answer ....is the word "suck" allowed? "Swearing" still needs to be clarified IMO.

Yes i did answer that indirectly but clearly:
Everything execpt, cocksuker, faggot, nigger... and co, the kind of words you wouldn't learn to your children execpt if you want them to be auto-muted.
Suck isn't one of them, even if you suck isn't a pleasant thing to say it still not considered as hardcore swearing, we are talking about hardcore swearing there and "noob" word abuse which is the only execption of soft swear (not that soft for the gaming community).

TSGK Servers isn't an institution for juvenil delinquants rehabilitation, you'r correct and enjoy it, you'r not correct and enjoy another place to trash.
Obviously calling people "Noob" 20 times a round is abnormal.
It do not need to be said on the MOTD because 2 people a day are not disciplined enough when there is no problem with 1498 others players.
MOTD is a welcome part for our servers, it said Welcome and enjoy and the ultra majority are exactly doing that when connecting to our servers.

It is already sad to have to spend (waste) time to devlop such a system for our servers.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 17:38    Post subject:  

Since most people drive 65 it's ok to blindside those driving 75 just because there aren't many of them?

As I said earlier, it seems your system is more interested in muting people because of who they are, as opposed to how they behave on your servers. The fact that you Judge someone's behavior on your server against a rule they aren't aware of is why I say that. With this logic, you could get to some strange places. If you're filtering program could find a way to find out which of your players are verbally swearing to other people in the same room with them, then you would mute them as well. Or if you could find out which of them cussed out their parents, spouses, or children earlier that day, you would mute them as well. I'm having trouble drawing the line with this logic I'm reading.

Sorry but right is right and wrong is wrong, regardless of how few people it impacts. And it just isn't justifiable to assume that people have the same standards you do with their language and can be just muted without a warning. Many people use the words you refer to as swear words in their language without necessarily directing it at anyone angrily. They at least deserve a warning. Even if it is only 1 out of 1000.

Don't get me wrong, you can run your server however you want. But you can't justify it and call it fair without getting at least "some" reality checks.
Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 18:08    Post subject:  

people who swear or say noob all the time perfectly know that what they are saying is not considered normal and that it disturbs people.

its just a moral thing. would you go out and swear at random people because they are in your way etc.? its the same thing in the game. its not bots you play against.

so if they swear (really heavy swearing needed until you get muted) and get muted they will have to learn their lesson from it and behave better from then on.

in my eyes the auto mute system is simply awesome taking out those small percentage of people who destroy the game for us, the big percentage.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 18:13    Post subject:  

The problem is that you assume use of the word means they are directed at someone. I can easily say noob 20 times in a single map and be discussing the use of the word in ffa games and what it means. Likewise, as I stated earlier, some people use swear words to exaggerate their emotions. They aren't necessarily swearing "AT" someone or calling them names. Different people have different standards on what is acceptable to say in their everyday language. The fact that your system only cuts out a small percentage of people doesn't make it fair and thats the only argument I've seen for it thus far.
Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 18:29    Post subject:  

unlike in real life you cant really tell how a person means something, while player 1 may understand it as acceptable, player 2 may feel heavily offended. I think that the people who are muted can be happy they are not banned and can still continue playing on our servers because Osiris is a great admin. others could have long banned those players instead.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 18:44    Post subject:  

And what would you say if I told you these people would not use any of those words if they had known it was against the rules?
Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 19:12    Post subject:  

"no-swearing" is a general rule that can count for any server. if those players think they can behave bad like that and not suffer any consequences some day its their own fault. they need to get a lesson out of it so they will probably stop swearing on other servers as well. thats my view of it.

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:19    Post subject:  

WhiteNoise wrote:
And what would you say if I told you these people would not use any of those words if they had known it was against the rules?

Even orphans get a decent education (sorry didn't read your two others post, you write too much, this one was short enough to attract my attention).
So, now, it is better to put a final period to this, you'r muted at TSGK Servers by your own, end of the story.

TSGK Servers administrations own you nothing, those servers are free of charge for all the community, you respect its use or you don't, and if you need a lesson of education ask the proper persons for that, this forum will not be usefull in that case.
Thanks for the time you spend on our servers, hope you have a nice game at others servers, with or without the word noob in your chat history that's your business now.
Good continuation.
Thanks for your comprehension.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:55    Post subject:  

Law you think the word noob would be a common understanding for a swear word? I've heard of closing your mind and not allowing yourself to openly hear the other side but this is ridulous. You're not being reasonable. The sad thing is that if more people got caught in this trap statistically then you'd see this pompous display of ethics melt away quickly.

Osiris,

There is no way in hell orhpans would know that having a conversation about what the word noob means is illegal on your server. Sorry.

It is true that the servers are free but it would be alot easier to respect the servers if you would be more open about exactly what you consider to be disrespectful. This attempt to pretend that everyone just should know right off what is right and wrong in your mind is nonsense. Sure, somethings most people will agree on, but there is just too much subjectivity AND not all of this language is used to call people names. Your program cannot possibly know the context in which certain words are being used. Your reasoning for the mute feature was to eliminate people calling people names and running them off. This is only one context.

In my opinion the admin DOES owe it's players something. The same respect you're asking for. You want them to read your mind and respect your wishes but you don't want to show any respect to them by at least educating them on what you don't want to see on your servers. Again, you can do anything you want on your servers but you're not going to pretend like it's fair.

And I'm making this post long so that you have, yet again, an excuse to ignore and not respond to my reasoned points.
Freelancer
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:12    Post subject:    

Lawitz wrote:
suffer any consequences

you were worn In other words in the past
"You will face sevier qonsequences Bi**hes"
And so you did Razz
Bit n=eside the Joking i say that the swearing is allowed in small doses like saying F**ck 5 times in 2 weeks maximum ( i dont say you have to)
The main thing is to have fun playin Razz and that is it
Wink Wink Wink

Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:22    Post subject:  

Whoah there Blacknose.

First of all, you do realise it's a game server? And that this forum is a games forum? The words ... pompous display of ethics, fairness, subjectivity etc seem a bit over the top. Maybe you got mixed up and there's a website out there on Burma which has comments from you extolling the virtues of crowbarring rebels.

Anyway, it's simply about being polite. Hard to define and all that, but I think we all know what it means. Anyway, it's a shame all your mates won't play on our servers anymore (well it's not - I'm just being polite).

You can argue all you want, but maybe your missing the point? Seriously dude (nod to shimmy for using the word dude). Your analogies - speeding and law enforcement, fairness, equity are all about arguing that an injustice is being committed. But... it's a game server
- they are not banned, just muted
- they are impolite
- there are NO false positive's. Proove otherwise
- they they can go elsewhere
- they have not paid anything for the servers
- they were respected guests who did not respect other guests
- it's a games server

This post isn't long enough... just kidding - it is.

Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen with all the fat taken out
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:31    Post subject:  

WhiteNoise wrote:
And I'm making this post long so that you have, yet again, an excuse to ignore and not respond to my reasoned points.

You'r right here that's all i read from this post, but in same time i don't feel the need to reply (also i did said i was done with that), all has been said for that case, so no bother reading more, sincerely, there is no leash, you'r free to go play any servers you want and enjoy them the way you want, execpt being muted at TSGK Servers (not even by an admin, but by a bot), but you'r not at others servers.
Also, please, don't be egoistic, we can't spend all our time with your case, we do have an amount of tasks to do to maintain thoses servers and all related (stats, site...) which are pretty more prioritary, we spent the time this case needed and we did it nicely, we did listened to you and gave you a proper reply, so please stop the show and start acting like a reasonable person as you claim to be.
Thanks.

Freelancer
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:35    Post subject:  

Listen to smart water bottle,he is a Science masta and all that.
But on his post i agree 90 % cuz its all correct and nothing unneeded POined out.
ALtho the 10 % of my disagreeness(is that a word?) is to the word Dude...Not only shimmy is a dude and you can call ANYONE dude,and shimmy wont be jelous of you calling someone else dude Smile

But WhiteNoise has a little point there .
Word Noob came from a word Newbie ,but it is abused nowdays cuz of some dumb kids (no offence guys >_< ) puting together the Newbie+Looser+Fag+etc o it so its now a BIg swear word to all Sad THe word is being abused and its sad.
My way is to forget the Noob thing and go straight to comieing up with new words that mean something Funny and not THAT offencive Wink LIke a "Shimmy is a sandal shoe" Laughing Its Funny for most of ppl i sayd it to and its not that offencive altho it shows about something that happend during a game Smile
P.S.: THe whole thing was based on my gaming experiance so dont punch me hard please

Nutz

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:58    Post subject:  

WhiteNoise wrote:
This attempt to pretend that everyone just should know right off what is right and wrong in your mind is nonsense. Sure, somethings most people will agree on, but there is just too much subjectivity AND not all of this language is used to call people names.

Anyone with any manners/common sense knows what language is right and wrong where kids could be present.

And there is no subjectivity where a computer is involved. Foul language is foul language no matter the context. "Noob" (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the only non-hardcore offensive term to get you muted. Sooooo, the problem lies in the user and their attitude.

But what do I know. I'm just a Noob. Wink

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 22:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
Anyone with any manners/common sense knows what language is right and wrong where kids could be present.

yes, "noob" is clearly offensive to children

Quote:

And there is no subjectivity where a computer is involved. Foul language is foul language no matter the context.

So the word noob cannot be used in any context that isn't offensive? LOL
Controllerboy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Location: Ingelmunster, West of the Flanders, Flanders, Belgium
Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 22:46    Post subject:  

N U T Z wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:
This attempt to pretend that everyone just should know right off what is right and wrong in your mind is nonsense. Sure, somethings most people will agree on, but there is just too much subjectivity AND not all of this language is used to call people names.

I would like to add if, even there were no kids (I can tell :O) insults are still not on their place. Do you run across the street kicking and screaming insults ? Coprolalia patient are you ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
Nutz

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 23:21    Post subject:  

controllerboy wrote:

I would like to add if, even there were no kids (I can tell :O) insults are still not on their place. Do you run across the street kicking and screaming insults ? Coprolalia patient are you ?

Thank you Smile I for got the word especially.

Like I said, Mr. Noise. Common sense. Read the whole post. Noob is a special word/Phrase.

They have chosen to include this phrase since its mostly used by the guy spawn camping and crushing the "Somewhat Challenged Newer Player" and then insulting him by pointing out the fact the he is in-fact a newbie, over and over and over again, without offering help to the struggling individual who if he does not quit playing all together will get better and treat other players the same way he was treated by you.

WhiteNoise

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 00:43    Post subject:  

You're right. The fact that most people use it that way justifies executing everyone who uses it. Sorry I mentioned the concept of fairness. The only reason "noob" is being called a special phrase is because it is where the whole "people ought to know what swearing is" argument falls apart.
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 01:34    Post subject:  

Nob is a nice word.

Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen with all the fat taken out
Nutz

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 01:35    Post subject:  

Diet H2O wrote:
Nob is a nice word.

Yes it is Smile

[DOH] Mick

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 01:45    Post subject:  

Exclamation Just had an idea Wink TSGK should make a I'M SORRY FOR SWEARING on the forum ... anyone who is auto muted could say sorry on it and once a month you could unmute players who swear.... anyone who swears again could then be banned from the servers Idea

Cannon Foddr
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 01:54    Post subject:  

You should not consider the auto mute system a punishment for bad behaviour Mick. It's there not to punish, but to protect other players from verbal aggression.

At first I also thought there was some unfairness in this system, as players are muted who didn't know beforehand about the auto-mute system. But when you think about it....

Suppose you have visitors in your house who call you all kinds of terrible things. You tell them after their abuse they can still come and play again, but they have to keep silent. Hm, sounds more than fair to me, they are still welcome where in the real world they would get boot kicked onto the pavement.

[DOH] Mick

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
You should not consider the auto mute system a punishment for bad behaviour Mick

I was just trying to give players who have been muted a second chance so if they say sorry they could be unmuted as long as they don't do it again .

[DOH] Mick

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:15    Post subject:  

I have just thought about my last post and it is wrong of me to put forward ideas being that I am not even a member of TSGK ....
so here goes sorry .

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:52    Post subject:  

[DOH] Mick wrote:
I have just thought about my last post and it is wrong of me to put forward ideas being that I am not even a member of TSGK ....
so here goes sorry .

If that thread would be for TSGK Members only you would not see it ; )
But your idea as a TV show could be a real success.

Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » TSGK Servers » Problem Reporting
Jump to: