TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mark
May 16
 TSGK Member 
Mr. Cumshot
May 13 1993 (31 year old)
[DOH] DeCoy
May 14 1967 (57 year old)
[ELEA] Rautamiekka
May 16 1990 (34 year old)
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Fri 10 May 2024 Sat 11 May 2024 Sun 12 May 2024 Mon 13 May 2024 Tue 14 May 2024 Wed 15 May 2024 Thu 16 May 2024

Birthday Mr. Cumshot  
Birthday [DOH] DeCoy  

Birthday mark  
Birthday [ELEA] Rautamiekka  
The time now is Sat May 11, 2024 12:41
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » General Discussion
Question of the week #1
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
deluxe

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:08    Post subject:  Question of the week #1  

Alright, i asked this to myself a few times, but it's hard to find a definite answer, here's the question:

do we need to speak a language to be able to think?

everyone "thinks" in a language, for example, my thoughts are mostly german. so, do u have to be able to know a language to be able to think?
what do u think guys, give me your answers Smile

the one of the best answers gets a banana. if i have a new question, i will give another banana to the best answer, like this there would be some kind of point system lol^^

have fun

connection closed
Ping

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:16    Post subject:  

i always think in english O.o
Xenon

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 13:09    Post subject:  

Hmm...mind boggling... Confused

Well perhaps without language humans would just "think" with advanced instinct like a clever animal but unable to string thoughts together.
(Heh, instinct, I'm beginning to sound like Dr. Breen Rolling Eyes )

Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 13:43    Post subject:  

why not, think of babies who can´t speak yet, they have to be thinking without a language.

deluxe

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 17:05    Post subject:  

Xenon wrote:
Hmm...mind boggling... Confused

Well perhaps without language humans would just "think" with advanced instinct like a clever animal but unable to string thoughts together.
(Heh, instinct, I'm beginning to sound like Dr. Breen Rolling Eyes )

another interesting question, what is instinct? is instinct independent from thinking??
Smile

Lawitz wrote:
why not, think of babies who can´t speak yet, they have to be thinking without a language.

yes, for babies its a bit like for animals, they can't speak, but they are able to eat, sleep etc... but all these things are not necessarily thoughts, these are only the reactions of the sensations that the baby/the animal has.
for example, the baby is hungry, it starts to cry. Does the baby think: "ok i will start to cry now because i'm hungry", or isnt it rather some kind of "automatic process", which will make the baby cry? i actually don't think that a baby is conscious of the fact that it's hungry! and if you are not conscious of that, it's hard to think about it Smile

connection closed
Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 17:40    Post subject:  

well instincts are how thinking is governed by the genetic basis. Think of our brain like a processor. It runs instructions in a certain way. The processor didn't invent itself but the software the goes thru it's transistors is the one affected by the environment. The smarter the programmer the smarter the brain, but the processor also has it's limit.

As for thinking in a language, It depends, I think in the langauge i speak. which is Arabic, English and french. Each has it's on hard drive partition.

Oh one last thing, we take serial killers for example. The wiring of their brains are completely different than normal people, to them doing what they do seems normal. This has been proven by psychologist and neuro-scientists when they performed psychological and brain imagery tests on them.

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 19:45    Post subject:  

Hearing impairment is the perfect exemple that you don't need to speak (or being able to hear) a language to think, and i doubt that people affected by hearing impairment think with the pictures of the sign language in their mind.

Thinking is a state of mind and you were born with this faculty before learning any kind of language.

Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 19:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
do we need to speak a language to be able to think

Language is a structured and shared means of communication, verbal, sign, touch can all be languages. So long as it's mutually understood. We don't need a language to think. We need a language to communicate our expressions of thought. We can try to verbalise what we think (it may or may not be a language) but we don't need it to think. Helen Keller etc.

And thinking isn't all that clear cut - is it a string of synapses or something additional? Thoughts are products of ego, super ego, the id etc. The unconscious has a large part to play. Lacan (french Psychoanalyst) believed the unconscious to be the unspoken word, the thing between what is said and what is meant.

etc...

deep enough?

Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen with all the fat taken out
Zog Ecosse

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 21:11    Post subject:  

For me the it goes something like this

You have two minds - a body mind and a head mind.
The language of the body mind is universal and crosses not only cultures but also species. It is something which is both acquired through experience and we are also born with it. A good example of this is fear. The body mind tells the head mind to beware you are in danger. The reaction to, for example, an object coming straight at you is to get out of the way, self preservation or instinct whatever, you do not have to think in the conventional way you just do it. Other examples are hunger, thirst , love, hate, pain etc they have no language.
The head mind is the cpu of the body if you like.
It learns and about and processes information it receives from the senses and what is actually happening. The thought process if you like. The actual language we communicate my be different but the thought process for for
as simple task like opening a door can be understood by anyone who has opened a door by the use of non verbal communication.
When we move on to more complex and abstract concepts, the only way to communicate and get others to understand is by the use of language.
Until recently my job involved meeting and communicating with people from all over the world. Whenever possible, I tried to think in their language and communicate accordingly. In almost every occasion, common ground was found and basic communication established by a mixture of languages and non verbal communication.

So my answer would have been - I think in whatever language it took to get my job done. Now, I suppose I can think in English, French and to a very limited extent, Russian. By this I mean that I only have to resort to thinking in my native English when I do not understand what is being said or I am unable to communicate a concept in the appropriate language.

I also speak cow Laughing

Moo

Zog
Knife
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 21:36    Post subject:  

Hmm. Sometimes I catch myself speaking French to customers at work. They look at me like Shocked
This is cause I deal often with frenchspeaking people. Right after a conversation in french it happens that I continue speaking french in the next conversation. Even if the other person talks dutch Confused .

But in weekends, I mostly think with images Very Happy
Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 22:25    Post subject:  

Knife wrote:
But in weekends, I mostly think with images Very Happy

roflcopterteleporterpeoplegettingshotatinsaintsrowonxbox360cuzitssodamngood!
classic Knife hahahah! Mr. Green

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

Xenon

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 22:52    Post subject:  

Osiris_TSGK wrote:
Hearing impairment is the perfect exemple that you don't need to speak (or being able to hear) a language to think, and i doubt that people affected by hearing impairment think with the pictures of the sign language in their mind.

That is a very interesting point, people born deaf can learn to read, and lip read but yet cannot know how the words etc sound, which must result in a very different but still perfectly functional way of thinking that is very hard to imagine for people who aren't hearing impaired.

My first post seems a little misguided now but I was focusing on early humans (prehistoric and so on) living without any spoken language whatsoever besides a few grunts. I like this thread. Very intellectual. Razz

Phat Bacon

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 00:26    Post subject:  

if i'm hungry i cry. i then eat and cry again. then i cry about crying then i eat more and sleep. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 02:09    Post subject:  

I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct coddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce.

(Cut the last line, people may think that I said it because i never got laid in my life, thus wanting to destroy the human race so no one gets laid ever again.)
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 02:17    Post subject:  

The real question is; How is it like to think without a language?
does our sub-councious do it for us?

Babies don't speak an language, mainly because they dont have teeth ( you get my point Rolling Eyes )

There has to be comunication otherwise humans would not exist..
therefor if the true human language may be the one on which there is no actual language.
Zog Ecosse

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 02:26    Post subject: Questoin of the week  

I said I speak cow ................can anybody translate Question Question

Moo Mooo Moo Moo. Mooo Mooo Mooo. Moo Mooo Moo Moo

and Phat, don't cry I only smacked you once. Babies need a little discipline occasionally.

I live for laughs. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Zog
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16    Post subject:  

my posts rock
deluxe

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 18:41    Post subject:  

wow a lot of feedback Very Happy i dont have the time to read everything now, i'll do that tomorrow.

connection closed
StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 19:47    Post subject:  

Dunno about the Mind thing, too much deep thought going on there, but with instincts I think that is something your body pays attention to @ subconsious level.

I hope that packet gets lost forever in network oblivion
sargE

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 20:14    Post subject:  

I thought all babies were born with the ability to speak. They might not be able to understand speach.

I read somewhere that if (during pregnancy) the mother spoke another language aswell as her native one, the baby will find it easier to understand the foreun language and would be able to speak it alot easier when it is thought. This might come around from the baby hearing his/her mothers speach during pregnancy. The foteus cannot understand when the mother is saying, but it can certainly recognise it as another language and must retain some of it.

To answer the question. No, you dont have to be able to speak a language to think. Thought might be in a certain language even if the person is not able to speak the language (similar to osiris's post). I.E if your thinking your next move in a chess match, you are thinking very quickly to yourself, trying to work out what your next move should be and if its the right move or not. Trying to say all of your thoughts through this period (maybe 1-5mins depending on how much you care about chess) aloud is alot harder than it sounds (try it!). Wink

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Spitfire

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 21:24    Post subject:  

sargE wrote:
I thought all babies were born with the ability to speak. They might not be able to understand speach.

I read somewhere that if (during pregnancy) the mother spoke another language aswell as her native one, the baby will find it easier to understand the foreun language and would be able to speak it alot easier when it is thought. This might come around from the baby hearing his/her mothers speach during pregnancy. The foteus cannot understand when the mother is saying, but it can certainly recognise it as another language and must retain some of it.

To answer the question. No, you dont have to be able to speak a language to think. Thought might be in a certain language even if the person is not able to speak the language (similar to osiris's post). I.E if your thinking your next move in a chess match, you are thinking very quickly to yourself, trying to work out what your next move should be and if its the right move or not. Trying to say all of your thoughts through this period (maybe 1-5mins depending on how much you care about chess) aloud is alot harder than it sounds (try it!). Wink

You really want that banana, don't you? :p
sargE

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 21:31    Post subject:  

Spitfire wrote:
sargE wrote:

You really want that banana, don't you? :p

Another genius post from spitfire Razz
Just posting my thoughts, if i get a banana then great Very Happy

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 22:42    Post subject: Re: Questoin of the week  

Zog Ecosse wrote:
I said I speak cow ................can anybody translate Question Question

Moo Mooo Moo Moo. Mooo Mooo Mooo. Moo Mooo Moo Moo

o_O MoO mooo MoO mooo baaaa
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 23:09    Post subject:  

Bleh
maeggs

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 01:07    Post subject:  

sargE wrote:
(try it!). Wink

wanna have a game? ^^

Sidi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 04:15    Post subject:  

You should do some reading on feral children if the subject interests you. When raised without a language children find it nearly impossible to learn one at a later age. If they have little or no contact with humans or human society they pretty much will be unable to function normally, no matter how much care they're given. I doubt it's just the lack of language that cripples them, I think it's also in large part never seeing how people behave, the things that we can accomplish, etc.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to gauge the accuracy of many of the stories and reports, since they're so old and often poorly documented. The most conclusive tend to be the modern children imprisoned by parents in closets or rooms with no contact. The results usually aren't pretty.

deluxe

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 16:30    Post subject:  

Sidi wrote:
You should do some reading on feral children if the subject interests you. When raised without a language children find it nearly impossible to learn one at a later age. If they have little or no contact with humans or human society they pretty much will be unable to function normally, no matter how much care they're given. I doubt it's just the lack of language that cripples them, I think it's also in large part never seeing how people behave, the things that we can accomplish, etc.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to gauge the accuracy of many of the stories and reports, since they're so old and often poorly documented. The most conclusive tend to be the modern children imprisoned by parents in closets or rooms with no contact. The results usually aren't pretty.

yes, i have read about those things.

to answer the question:

In my opinion, it always depends on how you define "thinking".
as zog already said in his post, things such as opening a door can be learned and done without any intervention of language. These things can be learned by observation. We observe things, and we remember. If we come to a similar situation, we remeber how we solved the problem in the past, and we reproduce. This is the case for a lot of things, in my opinion it's also in deathmatch like this: if u play a lot with the crossbow, after a few times, u get an idea of how u have to shoot, because of the numerous shots that u might have missed before. U see the thing, u remember, u act. No language involved, but can this really be considered as thinking?
I also like the example of the chess game. Let's say u have never before played chess in your life, somebody explained you how the game works and you start to play. Now, i think if you do a thing for the first time in your life, you are slower than experienced players, because there is no such thing "observation, memory, act". If u play for the first time, u really need to think. Now we come to the problem of the language. Do u think u can explain to someone how chess works without any language (in any form) ??
i dont think so. if u play for the first time, u remember in which situation u can do which things (because of the explanation of the game), u observe and u act. Still the same thing as opening a door. I hope u understand what i mean lol. It's always the same process, if u open a door, if u play chess, u are always confronted with a problem, which u solve because of further memorys, observations how can solve the problem. If u call this thinking (and i think a lot of people agree when i say that chess is a game where u have to think), u don't need a language to think.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the activity to "think" is really when you are "speaking to yourself". Thoughts are, for me, phrases that only yourself can hear. The logical consequence is for me, that u need a language to be able to think.

Very Happy Very Happy

of course there's not a ultimate answer to this question, but that's the reason why it's interesting to discuss it.

have fun

connection closed
Zog Ecosse

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 17:38    Post subject: Question of the week#1  

Phat_Bacon wrote -

o_O MoO mooo MoO mooo baaaa

For those of you who can not understand MOOrse code, I will reply in English-

Sorry Phat, I can't wear my spandex combine skin tonight, it is in the wash.

I live for laughs Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Zog
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 17:55    Post subject:  

LOL Zog!

xD
[ TSF ] ViTiaTe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58    Post subject:  

Wow what a cool question! I've thought that before!!

(Put's on degree in biology)

I reckon we are capable of thought without language, but once we've learned a language we just get into the habbit of thinking to ourselves in our native tongue.

For example, if you're running and jump you have to gauge speed, distance, height and all of that but if you had to think in lanuage you'd just slow your self down and fall flat on your arse, - you just "Think it" without knowing you're thinking about it.

Does anyone here that speaks two native languages sometime think in their no native tongue?
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » TSGK General » General Discussion
Jump to: