TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dablackdude989
March 27 1992 (32 year old)
JaMac
March 30 1981 (43 year old)
Vengeance_TSGK
April 01 1990 (34 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 27 Mar 2024 Thu 28 Mar 2024 Fri 29 Mar 2024 Sat 30 Mar 2024 Sun 31 Mar 2024 Mon 01 Apr 2024 Tue 02 Apr 2024
Birthday dablackdude989  

Birthday JaMac  

Birthday Vengeance_TSGK  

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » HL2 Help
Steampipe Problems
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Sadist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 23:18    Post subject:  Steampipe Problems  

Just clicked 'yes' to converting everything to steampipe. Now i've lost all my custom and downloaded content, despite valve telling me that it would be ok and any custom or downloaded content would be converted over.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.
Sadist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 23:24    Post subject:  

Just managed to reclaim a hammer autosave 'god bless you'.

But I've got nothing else, not even v8 is in here. But i've found a map in the list called 'halls3'. Not a bad map, cool idea with the teleports.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 01:28    Post subject: Re: Steampipe Problems  

Sadist wrote:
Just clicked 'yes' to converting everything to steampipe. Now i've lost all my custom and downloaded content, despite valve telling me that it would be ok and any custom or downloaded content would be converted over.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

It's here
E.G.
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\hl2mp\download

README wrote:
This directory contains custom maps, models, and other files downloaded
from gameservers. Player sprays are in the user_custom subfolder.
It is generally safe to delete this directory at any time.

This directory is usually be mounted into the game's file system as
the "download" write path, and the last search path for "game" files.
See gameinfo.txt for more details.

More Information About SteamPipe Below.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7388-QPFN-2491

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3BA901DF57014CE8%21110&cid=3BA901DF57014CE8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 19:33    Post subject:  

Not tried this out yet but will at some point I guess lol.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\hl2mp\custom

README wrote:
This folder is automatically scanned when the game boots for VPK files or
subfolders. Each subfolder or VPK is added as a search custom, so the files
inside those VPK's or subfolders will overide the default game files.

See gameinfo.txt for more details.

For example, you might have the following file structure:

hl2mp/custom/my_custom_stuff/ <<< This subfolder will be added as a search custom
hl2mp/custom/my_custom_stuff/models/custom_model.mdl
hl2mp/custom/my_custom_stuff/materials/custom_material.vmt
hl2mp/custom/my_custom_stuff/materials/vgui/custom_ui_thing.res
hl2mp/custom/some_mod.vpk <<< This VPK will be added as a search custom
hl2mp/custom/another_mod.vpk <<< This VPK will be added as a search custom

Mounting a VPK to the filesystem is more efficient that adding a subfolder,
because each time the engine neds to open a file, it will need to make a call to the
operating system call to search the folder. VPKs can be searched by the engine much
more efficiently. Each subfolder is a new search custom that must be checked each
time the engine tries to open a file. So for optimal load times, always use VPK files
and don't make any subfolders in this folder!

Note that the following directory structure is NOT correct:

hl2mp/custom/models/my_model.mdl

That will add the directory "hl2mp/custom/models" as a search path, in which case the
file my_model.mdl actually exists at the root of the game's virtual filesystem.

EDIT

Custom content test
http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?p=65693#65693

Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Thu Apr 04, 2013 23:10; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
[DKM!] Pseudonym`

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 20:20    Post subject:  

The instructions on that txt file do not work.

here is my error log post to steam earlier, which as had no reply yet:

-------------------
(I have also spoken to two people who said they posted lengthy bug reports on valves facebook and they were promptly deleted!)

Steampipe was advertised as a way to make load times faster, and to reduce the amount of MB we needed for games and steam assets - therefore making things "easier"

However, currently:

1. it seems like sdk is still looking for custom content in the original directory which we were told would not be used anymore.
2. it seems like hl2.exe for hl2dm is looking in a completely new and different folder, meaning we actually need to DOUBLE the amount of files.
3. I looked in common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\hl2mp\custom\readme.txt and then re-read it over and over while following it to the letter. Ive tried putting my stuff in /custom/materials (just to check), in ../materials (like normal), in /custom/my_custom_stuff/materials (as told to .. and other random places for testings sakes) ... but i cant seem to get any of my custom models or materials to appear ingame..
4. regardless of wether i have custom content or not, or if i am running sv_pure or not: i seem to get lots of console warnings about loading of precache which lists around 100 lines of missing models - including playermodels,v_ and w_ weapons. and about missing models in a folder which they should be of been in.
5. hammer editor has now been manually reconfigured for the new common location, but when i try to compile it - it compiles seemingly fine (with no compile errors and by showing ingame succesful changes in my map, such as correct test-moving of a brush or entity) and loads up to the background in hl2.exe . then automatically closes forcing an msgbox error about a missing required texture used to similate the blurry initial loading screen.
(materials/console/background01.vtf)
6. to bypass #5, i compiled without running game, then manaully loaded DM (which worked except for the console errors in #4) and did a manual mapchange, only to see missing textures everywhere as in #2

7. its very confusing, with next to no documentation as to what to do for mappers - even about 'simple' things which i would of thought would of been in a readme.

8. The reality of this (hopefully short-term problem, which is preventing me and many others from our passion of creating games) is that:
- It has completely broken functionality of source sdk. and meant that i have had to place an extra 10Gig + on my system when you take into account all the custom assets which have accumulated or been crafted.
- It has not reduced load times at all, both in regards to hl2dm and sdk loading.

help!
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 20:57    Post subject:  

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\bin\vpk.exe"

Quote:
Customization
Q. Can I still download custom maps and other files from gameservers?

Yes, and we've improved how this works.
Files downloaded from gameservers will go into the dod/download folder. This segregates downloaded files from shipping files and your own customizations.
Q. What will happen to files I already downloaded or customized?

The conversion process can't tell which custom files you downloaded from a server, and which you intentionally customized. To be on the safe side, it will move all custom files into the dod/download folder.
If you have customized a shipping file, however, you will need to move it from the dod/download folder into a subfolder under the dod/custom folder. (This is described in the next question.)
Q. Can I still customize any game file?

Yes. Create a folder such as dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/ and put your custom files there.
For example, you might customize the scoreboard by extracting the resource/ui/scoreboard.res file from the appropriate VPK (using the VPK tool in the bin folder, or a free tool such as GCFScape) as dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/resource/ui/scoreboard.res, and then modifying it. When the game boots, it will see the subdirectory my_custom_stuff and add that folder as a search path. Then your version of resource/ui/scoreboard.res will take priority over the official shipping version of the file.
You can have more than one such subfolder under dod/custom, (for example, you might be working on two different customization projects and don’t want to get the files mixed up), but each folder is another search path added in front of the VPKs will slow down load times a little more. When you’re done tweaking your customization, you can always pack it up into a VPK and delete the subfolder.
Q. Why can't I just edit files directly in the game folder like I did before?

Modifying files directly in game installation folders (dod/resource, dod/materials, etc) won't always work anymore. Here's why.
Previously, when the engine looked for a file, it would first search folders on your hard disk, and then look inside the Steam GCF files. This meant that custom files in the dod folder would take priority over the files in the GCF.
This method had two disadvantages:
It slowed down loading, because the vast majority of files were in the GCFs. Booting the game or loading a level would cause many thousands of operating system calls to attempt to open files, most of which would fail.
Files from many different sources were mixed together. (Files you intentionally customized, files downloaded from gameservers you visited, files from third party mods, and any official shipping games files that were not in the GCF.) Removing a mod was difficult because the files were scattered across several directories. This problem will be exacerbated with SteamPipe, because more game files are shipped loose on disk than was the case when GCF's were used.
The new system searches VPK files first, and then search folders on your hard disk. This reduces load times significantly. But it means that the file in the VPK's we ship will always take priority over loose files in the dod folder.
Users interested in understanding the filesystem search paths in more detail should take a look at dod/gameinfo.txt.
Q. Can custom content be put into VPK's?

Yes! And this is the recommended method.
Installing a mod distributed as a VPK is easy: just copy the VPK file to the dod/custom folder.
Q. How can I create a VPK?

The VPK tool ships with the client, in the bin folder. It's a command line tool, but there is one easy way to use it without any typing. If you drag a folder onto the executable, it will create a VPK with the same name as the folder, with the contents of the folder.

Q. I have a mod distributed as a .zip. The instructions say to unzip it directly into my game folder. Should I?

Probably not. First, check if the mod you are installing is available in VPK format. If so, then download the VPK and put it into your dod/custom folder.
If the mod you want to use is only available in a .zip format, then unzip it into a subdirectory under the game's custom folder. For example, if the .zip contains custom player models that look like (heaven forbid) ponies, and one of the files is materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf, then you might make a dirctory such as tf/custom/i_love_ponies. You should unzip the mod such that the custom scout head texture ends up at tf/custom/i_love_ponies/materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf.
Don't unzip the .zip directly into the custom folder! Make a subdirectory!
Create a subdirectory in the dod/custom folder. For example, dod/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff
Copy the directory structure under dod into the new directory you created. For example, the files that were in the dod/materials/ folder should end up in dod/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff/materials/.

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 22:57    Post subject:  

GCFScape v1.8.4 Tool from nemesis has been Modified: Jan 28th, 2013
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

So we can view these .vpk files and unpack them Smile

Sadist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:37    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike, I got my files back from the folder you said. Just need to get hammer to recognise my textures again...

Cheers!
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:50    Post subject:  

Sadist wrote:
Thanks Mike, I got my files back from the folder you said. Just need to get hammer to recognise my textures again...

Cheers!

Put your Custom textures, models etc in hl2ep2 folders.

For Source SDK just run it in 2009 and ep2 mode. (For now)
When hammer has loaded Configer Hammer and add the hl2mp FGD file. (So you can add/see the Deathmatch player spawns etc)
http://gtamike.tsgk.com/run_2009_ep2_SDK.jpg

You can compile the map fine cause I did this when SDK messed up last Oct for my church map.

.:EDIT:.
Topic: http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5158

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 17:45    Post subject:  

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\bin\vpk.exe"

Quote:
Customization
Q. Can I still download custom maps and other files from gameservers?

Yes, and we've improved how this works.
Files downloaded from gameservers will go into the dod/download folder. This segregates downloaded files from shipping files and your own customizations.
Q. What will happen to files I already downloaded or customized?

The conversion process can't tell which custom files you downloaded from a server, and which you intentionally customized. To be on the safe side, it will move all custom files into the dod/download folder.
If you have customized a shipping file, however, you will need to move it from the dod/download folder into a subfolder under the dod/custom folder. (This is described in the next question.)
Q. Can I still customize any game file?

Yes. Create a folder such as dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/ and put your custom files there.
For example, you might customize the scoreboard by extracting the resource/ui/scoreboard.res file from the appropriate VPK (using the VPK tool in the bin folder, or a free tool such as GCFScape) as dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/resource/ui/scoreboard.res, and then modifying it. When the game boots, it will see the subdirectory my_custom_stuff and add that folder as a search path. Then your version of resource/ui/scoreboard.res will take priority over the official shipping version of the file.
You can have more than one such subfolder under dod/custom, (for example, you might be working on two different customization projects and don’t want to get the files mixed up), but each folder is another search path added in front of the VPKs will slow down load times a little more. When you’re done tweaking your customization, you can always pack it up into a VPK and delete the subfolder.
Q. Why can't I just edit files directly in the game folder like I did before?

Modifying files directly in game installation folders (dod/resource, dod/materials, etc) won't always work anymore. Here's why.
Previously, when the engine looked for a file, it would first search folders on your hard disk, and then look inside the Steam GCF files. This meant that custom files in the dod folder would take priority over the files in the GCF.
This method had two disadvantages:
It slowed down loading, because the vast majority of files were in the GCFs. Booting the game or loading a level would cause many thousands of operating system calls to attempt to open files, most of which would fail.
Files from many different sources were mixed together. (Files you intentionally customized, files downloaded from gameservers you visited, files from third party mods, and any official shipping games files that were not in the GCF.) Removing a mod was difficult because the files were scattered across several directories. This problem will be exacerbated with SteamPipe, because more game files are shipped loose on disk than was the case when GCF's were used.
The new system searches VPK files first, and then search folders on your hard disk. This reduces load times significantly. But it means that the file in the VPK's we ship will always take priority over loose files in the dod folder.
Users interested in understanding the filesystem search paths in more detail should take a look at dod/gameinfo.txt.
Q. Can custom content be put into VPK's?

Yes! And this is the recommended method.
Installing a mod distributed as a VPK is easy: just copy the VPK file to the dod/custom folder.
Q. How can I create a VPK?

The VPK tool ships with the client, in the bin folder. It's a command line tool, but there is one easy way to use it without any typing. If you drag a folder onto the executable, it will create a VPK with the same name as the folder, with the contents of the folder.

Q. I have a mod distributed as a .zip. The instructions say to unzip it directly into my game folder. Should I?

Probably not. First, check if the mod you are installing is available in VPK format. If so, then download the VPK and put it into your dod/custom folder.
If the mod you want to use is only available in a .zip format, then unzip it into a subdirectory under the game's custom folder. For example, if the .zip contains custom player models that look like (heaven forbid) ponies, and one of the files is materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf, then you might make a dirctory such as tf/custom/i_love_ponies. You should unzip the mod such that the custom scout head texture ends up at tf/custom/i_love_ponies/materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf.
Don't unzip the .zip directly into the custom folder! Make a subdirectory!
Create a subdirectory in the dod/custom folder. For example, dod/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff
Copy the directory structure under dod into the new directory you created. For example, the files that were in the dod/materials/ folder should end up in dod/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff/materials/.

Working vpk.exe here (turns folders into .vpk)
http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?p=65739#65739

Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 18:59    Post subject:  

Great thanks just what I was looking for.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 18:27    Post subject:  

Sadist wrote:
Great thanks just what I was looking for.

np
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » TSGK General » HL2 Help
Jump to: