TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freelancer
April 27 1991 (33 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Juize_TSGK
April 27 1989 (35 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Spitfire
April 27 1991 (33 year old)
TeamScorpion
April 24 1991 (33 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Mon 22 Apr 2024 Tue 23 Apr 2024 Wed 24 Apr 2024 Thu 25 Apr 2024 Fri 26 Apr 2024 Sat 27 Apr 2024 Sun 28 Apr 2024

Birthday TeamScorpion  

Birthday Freelancer  
Birthday Juize_TSGK  
Birthday Spitfire  

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 08:49
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
Killbox KBH2 Re-style
Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts]  
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 02:06    Post subject:  Killbox KBH2 Re-style
Subject description: link inside

The map I most play on is dm_killbox_kbh_2_fix2.

Seems to be the standard among servers? Been playing it for a while and thought it could look better. I've used cleaner textures, removed the old decals (could do with some original custom graffiti) and moved weapons and ammo to precision.

The props on the floor could be better placed, but I'm not quite sure where to put them.

If anyone wants to modify this any further, be my guest. I'm no master mapper. Would love to see the basis of this used somewhere or even replacing the standard. Eek! O_o

EDIT: New link further down

Last edited by Achtung Baby on Fri Sep 11, 2009 20:59; edited 1 time in total
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 09:16    Post subject:  

This is my current fav as well, don't do to much to the weapon placement as personally i think there fine where they are.
As to props after the 1st 30 secs it don't matter where they were placed Laughing

Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:14    Post subject:  

That fix2 is a complete remake. I madee everything from scratch, using measurements from the old one. THis includes the retextured objects, the world geometry, the lifts and the ladder. There is also a nice light in the ball spawner Very Happy. I moved the blades away from the center to stop the physics bug that throws you into the ball spawner xD All backface polys have been set "nodraw" and all decals removed. The reason i used the same textures however is because this is the only box i know that has perfect visibility.

kbh_2_fix is the original kbh_2 with higher res textures and no decals, this version seemed to increase fps issues though, so i reverted to the old textures for kbh_2_fix2.

StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 13:31    Post subject:  

I agree with Borg, Weapon placement is great, amount of weapons is great, the only thing I'd remove from the map is the SLAMS as apart from sticking them sneakily under objects the only thing they seem useful is for the campers at the top. I don't hate SLAMs, I love playing powerhouse with them, it just frustrating to Spawn and then go boom. Guess they gotta kill us somehow Laughing Laughing

I hope that packet gets lost forever in network oblivion
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 14:07    Post subject:  

Picture? Rolling Eyes
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3BA901DF57014CE8%21110&cid=3BA901DF57014CE8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 20:58    Post subject:  

I didn't change the general weapon placement because I knew you all know the map well, just tidied it and made sure nothing rolled off the floor from spawn or was picked up on spawn )

The textures are all aligned neatly on everything and the visibility I think is better.

Changes:
The floor, ceiling and walls were made up of 4 brushes each...and the textures not aligned. Now has with one brush per wall.
The walkways and boxes are now func_decaled to improve performance.
There was an unused skybox outside of the map...Deleted that. Should improve performance?
Changed the mesh on the elevators and moved them so there's no gaps when getting off.
Re textured those big shape props with a camouflage pattern...no one knows what they are so what do you put on there? Razz
The ladder didn't have a climb off point placed on the walkway, you had to jump off to get offa it.
Floor has specular map (reflections) for those who have computers made in the last 5 years Razz. Can be turned off with mat_specular 0.
Removed health and suit chargers (who stands there?)
There was an incorrect shadow coming from the chair in pic 9 (due to it being stuck in the walkway).

There's a prop holding up the combine spawner (all taken from fpsbanana.com and the back of it I thought could be used as cover and it makes more sense to be propping the tube up. Can be deleted if no one likes it.

Some comparison screens (my gfx card is old):

EDIT: Added more screenshots. Easier to play it really, but there you go.
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 05:19    Post subject:  

Updated link to rev3 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vdy2mnmht5z

Evened the plaster so the repetition is gone. Walls look pretty bare, but I'm thinking Eddie Van Halen-esque stripes could look good somewhere on the walls? Razz
[B§] Furianer

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 13:17    Post subject:  

i use a playerclip around the ballspawners i put into my maps. So no suicides possible.
One brush per wall can make leaks, the original walls was made of a quaderbrush with hollow option. Much better. And with some fine tuning, you can set the textures right.
Walkways and boxes func_decaled? Never heared. I use func_detail.... or u mean that?
Otherwise updates are great. Dont know, why Joe LSU never did it from the start like this. But i took now also 3 years, till someone else did Smile
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 19:38    Post subject:  

Thanks for the feedback Furianer.

I think we like the suicides on the ball spawner? I find them funny as well as all the random suicides from props:) But it can still be changed..

There's no leaks on the walls. I don't understand why 4 brushes vs 1 would be any better? If they're both sealed off from the void, then they're both sealed, imo.

Yep, made a typo - the walkways are all 'func_detail' now. Had 'decals' on the mind a lot.. Erm and also took out some thin blocks of curved trim from under the walkways, forgot that one. They were hard to see and maybe added a tiny, tiny...bit to processing, I dunno Smile

All in all, just trying to mod the beloved kbh2 into something of a pro version, with good looks combined with optimal performance and the structure and layout as to be as neat as possible on the grid. It's not gigantic changes, but why not try to improve..

One change I didn't do, but thought would be good was to move one of the floating blocks further right so that it's perfectly center. It's the block just below the top walkway. It kinda makes more sense design-wise and in symmetry? The two floating blocks as they are are both on the same half of the map right now.
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 20:22    Post subject:  

Can you move the slam off the top level, if someone wants to mine the spawn area they should at least have to work for it Question

Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 20:45    Post subject:  

That is a good idea Borg! I don't mind those SLAM players. There's some who just play with the SLAM and for me it keeps the game fresh. If it were all pro players it wouldn't be as much fun.

I kept it up top because I assume there's a way to remove it from the map without altering the map itself. Either by admin with a server config or other method. There's a map that plays kbh boxes with no magnum, no smg rounds or ar2 rounds.

How about 2 SLAMS on the map, each in a opposite corner?
Because currently, there's a smg nade + grenade in one and in the other is 2 smg nades.
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 14:04    Post subject:  

That would balance it out nicely.
I don't mind the slams, but as there what i call an easy kill they should have to do something to get them Very Happy

StonedCabbage
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:07    Post subject:  

The Borg_TSGK wrote:
That would balance it out nicely.
I don't mind the slams, but as there what i call an easy kill they should have to do something to get them Very Happy

I said earlier great weapon! Just not when you explode on spawn Razz

I hope that packet gets lost forever in network oblivion
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 21:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
walkways and boxes are now func_detail to improve performance

I think func_details are alway rendered ingame as Vvis.exe (map optimize stage) skips func_details.
How does this improve performance?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 22:10    Post subject:  

gtamike_TSGK wrote:
Quote:
walkways and boxes are now func_detail to improve performance

I think func_details are alway rendered ingame as Vvis.exe (map optimize stage) skips func_details.
How does this improve performance?

Dunno, but you're picking on a tiny bone there.

From the Valve wiki
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail

Good Candidates are:
* Pillars, plinths and supports
* Free-standing walls
* Suspended walkways
* Stairs (create a smooth wedge-shaped world brush underneath)
* Small buildings
* Rotated brushes
* Very small or thin brushes

It's just trying to help.

Deleting the skybox outside of the killbox was probably the biggest change.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 00:04    Post subject:  

just asking, seemed odd =)
Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 02:38    Post subject:  

Cool Mike.

The 2 SLAMs are now in the corners. Removed the back off the spawner. There's two new decals taken from a Crysis message board..The lighting is a little changed and the big props now have a much better new metal/combine texture (it's a bit reflective too).

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks.

New Link http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jwaymlnomjd
23.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   371.19 KB
 Viewed   575 Time(s)

23.jpg

22.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   468.62 KB
 Viewed   492 Time(s)

22.jpg

Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 13:20    Post subject:  

Blue light gives me eye cancer -.- Also if you started this from the original kbh chances are you will experience loads of player time out crashes again.

Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 13:51    Post subject:  

Ah.

Well, just white/grey then? And why would it crash? Sad It's just a simple map and has no problems? Please try it out, someone.
Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 17:24    Post subject:  

Becuase this game was not made for killboxes thats why.
Im sure you experience "back to desktop" crashes all the time just like all of us, and its made worse by killboxes with high res textures, decals, custom physics and mappers not using nodraw enough. Its not made to have everything drawn on screen at once. v8/kbh/domebox/and others are good examples of this, but triplebox for example (which splits up the gameplay) hardely ever has this problem.
kbh_2_fix2 has no backfaces, no decals, standard hl2 textures only, no cubemaps and near white lighting to try and rectify this problem and still fails xD.
Kbh is purely a performance map, and cranking up the other stuff isnt gonna be enough to convert players, especially if they get 20fps less in a box that looks almost exactly the same. Maybe you should put your skills to something original dude.

Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 17:48    Post subject:  

Yeah, it crashes all the time. Doesn't bother me really if it's happening to everyone. If the 'fix' version fails, well what's to lose by making a new one.

I have a pretty old computer and it plays this one just fine (course I haven't played with ppl yet ^^) I use a command to limit the draw distance props are viewed at so it's easier on the card+CPU so the crashing probably isn't a 'everything drawn on screen at once problem'. Maybe it's a physics thing, a certain prop causing the time out, maybe it's a server thing? Let's investigate, try things.

These textures aren't any more hi-res btw, they're only 512x512s. It's all nodrawed out. It's aligned to the grid (others aren't) Will it help, who knows?

It's not finished yet, it's still looking for ideas - I'm here asking if anyone would like something tweaked with the standard killbox. Let's do it.
Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:20    Post subject:  

Ok well the reason fix2 fails is becuase it is still a killbox xD Yours will timeout too, and i know that is definatly true, i have put extensive testing into this with killcampers servers 1 and 2.
fix2 is aligned, new brushes (not taken from kbh_2), new lifts, new spawner, new ladder.
Up to you though dude, continue please... Im just saying your's wont be any different from the others xD Its no problem, im just saying if your intention is to fix the issues, you wont win. And if your intention is to change the gamplay/placements/spawns, then people probably wont play it.

gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 19:34    Post subject:    

I made a updated dm_killbox_kbh_1 in 2007 cause the lifts were buggy. Confused
But did not advertise the release, because I had other maps in the making. Wink

In attachment anyway with update list. Razz
dm_killbox_kbh_1_rc1.zip
Description  Made in 2007
zip

Download 
Filename  dm_killbox_kbh_1_rc1.zip 
Filesize  304.75 KB 
Downloaded  393 Time(s) 
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 20:41    Post subject:  

Fyckfaco wrote:
Ok well the reason fix2 fails is becuase it is still a killbox xD Yours will timeout too, and i know that is definatly true, i have put extensive testing into this with killcampers servers 1 and 2.
fix2 is aligned, new brushes (not taken from kbh_2), new lifts, new spawner, new ladder.
Up to you though dude, continue please... Im just saying your's wont be any different from the others xD Its no problem, im just saying if your intention is to fix the issues, you wont win. And if your intention is to change the gamplay/placements/spawns, then people probably wont play it.

I'd still play this map if you moved the slam spawn point Laughing

Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 23:32    Post subject:  

I've given up.

Thanks Borg.
Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 23:44    Post subject:  

Aww i feel bad now xD Seriously, make a unique box. Simple, no gimicks, but badass game flow design.... Save us from Kbh ddduuuuuuude!!!! You clearly have the knowledge and skillz....

Achtung Baby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 23:57    Post subject:  

Nah, I'm just a player. I can't even get started on making a new one, because everything in my head is from other people's designs.
gtamike_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 00:24    Post subject:  

you can have a map I half made. dm air base, use as new idea or remake it. If i can find it.
Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts]  
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
Jump to: