TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1337_Byte
April 18 1993 (31 year old)
bullock007
April 21 1970 (54 year old)
DogSoldier
April 19 1974 (50 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Mon 15 Apr 2024 Tue 16 Apr 2024 Wed 17 Apr 2024 Thu 18 Apr 2024 Fri 19 Apr 2024 Sat 20 Apr 2024 Sun 21 Apr 2024

Birthday 1337_Byte  
Birthday DogSoldier  

Birthday bullock007  
The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 13:16
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » General Discussion
How long were you gaming
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DeezNut$

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 19:21    Post subject:  How long were you gaming
Subject description: Before...

...before you began to see serious improvement in your skills, specifically HL2DM?
I'm a total novice to gaming online and frankly I suck. I've improved a LOT since April, but still reek! Anyone who's played me (aka humiliated me over and over again LOL) knows this. But I digress. So, were you playing other games a while? Naturally gifted at gaming? Pathetic like myself? Just curious as some of you are amazing.

Smile

DN
Colossi

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 19:38    Post subject:  

I am playing HL2 for about 4 months now. And in the beginning I also sucked,
but you will see that you will keep getting better and better if you play more. Very Happy

Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 19:53    Post subject:  

hl2dm is my first online fps, played only offline fps before.
my skill has been going like in the image, at some point there is an inprovement, then its kind of the same for some time until it makes a jump again. at least I think its like that.

I have been playing for 1 1/2 years now.

some people just seem to idle at some point and not improve anymore, while others can get significantly better in a short time. people are different.
skill.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   6.5 KB
 Viewed   434 Time(s)

skill.jpg

DeezNut$

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 20:33    Post subject:  

Both you dudes messed me up in killroofs today! Laughing
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 20:35    Post subject:  

Hl2dm is my 1st and only online game. Started at xmas played solo for 3 months, then applied to tsgk in 3rd month, thinking i was quite good. Wasn't Laughing Embarassed .5-6months building my skill up enough to join.
I'm not a natural player, it all had to be learn't, like Lawitz my skill increase in lumps with long periods of play before improving.
i'm not sure but i think i hold the record for longest application to joining this gr8 clan Crying or Very sad

Secret is to find 1 or 2 good teachers who are prepared to take you to one side and show you where you're going wrong and what to improve

DeezNut$

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 21:28    Post subject:  

Sniperborg wrote:

Secret is to find 1 or 2 good teachers who are prepared to take you to one side and show you where you're going wrong and what to improve

Hint..hint....

Laughing
Freetux

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 21:46    Post subject:  

Well going by my xfire profile, at least an hour and a half every day for the last year and a half Shocked

Its probably worse than that though Embarassed I've been gaming (eg playing video games) for the last 15 years. Half Life 2 is the first one I've played online though

I really noticed a big jump in my skill when I got my new pc, having 60+fps on most maps is the biggest factor of skill imo Wink

Colossi

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 21:57    Post subject:  

DeezNut$ wrote:
Both you dudes messed me up in killroofs today! Laughing

I only killed you 1 time. Wink

MeekMeekle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 22:12    Post subject:  

I am sort of in the same situation as Lawitz.

HL2 (singleplayer) is the 1st FPS i ever liked or played for more then 2 hours for obvious reasons being it's an incredible game. I 1st got hl2dm 14 months ago.. so end of September of 2006 and 1st started playing on tsgk servers in october 2006. The maps I played were domebox, BS, and killbox v8. My strat at that time was to only use the grav gun and to always keep moving as fast as I could because it seemed like most of the best players didn't walk around shooting with the smg.

1 month into playing I learned how to do the grav-nade combo. which is I guess my 1st jump.

then around December of 2006 I was playing plasmodesmata, krazimu and chilr a lot and became steam friends with all of them (they were the 1st three tsgk I knew) .. I spectated plasmo a bunch to see how his strat differed from mine and learnt where the weak points of the maps were and developed my own flow and general strat. (i am reffering to full room kill boxes here because i never played 1v1s then)

End of jan beginning of feb 2007 I started going for the TSGK awards. I saw it as a way to learn the weps. So I would focous on the Xbow, crowbar, stunstick, orbs .. etc. I found that learning the crowbar greatly improved my strafe jumping ability and being able to catch enemies. Also I was never any good at the mag or xbow .. so when I focused on only using those weps .. I became a lot better with them.

On Saturday Feb 24th 2007 I and joined TSGK. It was a crazy event and even though I got in .. i still had a whole lot to learn and am no where near as good in skill now in comparison to then.

During this event, Krazimu, Pikpik, Rublis, Chilr, Arcane and sorry I forget who else were all spectating me. It was crazy. But the flashlight party at the end made it worthwhile LOL.

... now another big turning point for me in skill is when Ghost Dog put in his application and we starting to train 1v1. The games usually consisted of me, ghostdog and plasmodesmata.. with Chilr, DogSoldier and Shimmy playing sometimes. This is when things got crazy and harder because it was no longer full room killboxes .. it was 2 to 5 player fights with TSGK only.. this is where you realize you only have that much time to attack or you're dead.

so Ghost Dog and I contined to play 1v1 games all summer and we got better and better. It at some points it was scary.

THE LAST TURNING POINT! I learned how to properly bunnyhop in 600 grav servers. This is the huge leap .. Players will have a very hard time killing you if you're gone before they have a chance to shoot. Now I am definately no bunnyhopping expert... GhostDog, Plasmo, Nade are way better at it then me.. but it helps a lot.. and it's very hard to incorporate into your game. Hopping, and aiming is hard.

Yeah .. so there you have it. Hope you enjoyed my story!
Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 22:16    Post subject:  

I started playing this game with the attitude of "just kill them no matter what it takes", no advanced movement or anything like that just run around and shoot, after training started it took about 3 months to improve to a decent game, then plasmo taught me movement then meekle taught me map tactics and showed me how I make it easy to kill me, and since then I just learn something new every time (gathering, combos) , 1 step at a time.

I myself have been gaming since I was 5 years old (pole position ftw), meaning two decades now.I've been playing online since delta force and command and conquer for 11 years.But the truth is you need balance for this, like playing sports in RL or like when I do work customizing a car, it seems like after a day of doing everything but gaming you come back better and better.

It only takes practice and remembering that if they can do it so can you.
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 22:28    Post subject:  

|1992 - Sonic the headhodge / Super Mario
|
|1994 - Street Fighter 2 Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Sega Saturn) *
|
| (THIS GAP were some other games, but i only put the main ones)
|
|1997 - Wolfenstein 3D and alot of stuff **
|
|2002 - Changes start to happen, get more addicted to fps's
|2003 - Discovered CS, started gaming seriously.
|2004 - Discovered HL1, and HL2 a little later ***
|2005 - Gaming peak, Best year of my gaming life, made lots of cash
|2006 - Not so good year, returned to HL2DM
|2007 - Period of innactivity, playing random games

* I also played Sega Rally '95 on it, it was awesome! i had lots of demos.

** first 3D fps's start to glace at my eye's

*** around may 2005 my computer fucked up. result: focused on CS and it paid off. Returned to Sourcing in july 2006, discovered TSGK in august

in 2008 i predict that i will variate games, Crysis, CoD4 mp, etc..
i hope there will be a year like 2005 again..
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Location: Oh my god look behind you it's an evil combine advisor with a raging erection oh my god.
Browser:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 22:31    Post subject:  

Sniperborg wrote:
Hl2dm is my 1st and only online game. Started at xmas played solo for 3 months, then applied to tsgk in 3rd month, thinking i was quite good. Wasn't Laughing Embarassed .5-6months building my skill up enough to join.
I'm not a natural player, it all had to be learn't, like Lawitz my skill increase in lumps with long periods of play before improving.
i'm not sure but i think i hold the record for longest application to joining this gr8 clan Crying or Very sad

i hope i helped in those 1on1's we had

so did cannon Foddr Very Happy
Nightwalker
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:12    Post subject:  

DrBreen wrote:
|
|
|
|

*** around may 2005 my computer fucked up. result: focused on CS and it paid off. Returned to Sourcing in july 2006, discovered TSGK in august

Crazy i knew it all time you God now i see it Shocked

Im a Noob Very Happy
We all Noobs nobody is Perfect, have a nice game and dont Swaer!
ICQ Number 
maeggs

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:21    Post subject:  

I dont know exactly when i started to play dm ^^ its one year and 3 or 4 month i think.
And i was a real bad player at the beginning as soon as i got some xbow skills i where camping and spawnkilling as much as i could on killbox_final (i didnt knew at this time that its a bad thing lol). This was the only map i played all the time ^^

The stuff i learned was in the following progression:

-xbow
-nade cooking and physics
-strafejump
-fastball
-speedskate
-better speedskate
-insane speedskate ^^

Last edited by maeggs on Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:31; edited 1 time in total
Controllerboy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Location: Ingelmunster, West of the Flanders, Flanders, Belgium
Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 01:22    Post subject: Re: How long were you gaming
Subject description: Before...

Before half life I played socom II US Navy Seals on ps2 but before that no online fps'es ever. did play quake II and things like that, but could never be bothered to go and check online.

My learning curve is a long one, I have already played 13 days 21 hours on tsgk servers. It started a year or so ago, when I bought it, played it, got my ass kicked and put it aside. A month or four later I decided to give it a go again and to my surprise, I was better. off course, I used smg and sprayed everything, but I never spawnkilled or camped because it seemed quite obvious to me that doing that was ignorant and foolish. After a while of doing quite good (but still getting pwned by everyone with TSGK in the name) I stopped using the smg. I don't know what exactly led me to that decision, but I just did.

A pretty long time after that, I learnt the nade combo and from then things went quite fast. I found that I liked the xbow most and started training intensively with xbow only on other servers. When coming back to serv I after a trainig session like that I got pwnt less. I had my favourite weapon but off course I needed to get a good hand with the other weapons, and trained a bit with all of them. I had a stick period, SLAM period, 357 period and so on.

After a while I made friends on tsgk servers and one of them was nade maeggs. He was equally good as me at some point, but when I met him a few months later he owned me horribly. I wondered how he became so good so fast and he helped and trained me because I wanted to get into TSGK. I learnt a lot from getting ass kicked by him and I started playing better. From then on things went quite fast, but I had my periods of none-play and yer. A month or three ago I learnt speedball and now I'm slowly learning bunnyhop.

I don't play a lot because I have a lot of hobbies and that keeps me from being really-really-really pro. I still wish to do it though, but that will be something for when there's no school. At least I notice my skill stays nonetheless, I haven't played for over a week becuas eof computer issues but I have just played three pretty good matches on server I Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
Freelancer
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 03:02    Post subject:  

DN...do you really want t ohear ALL my 10 years of Gameing? If so ill try and Put it all together and Do a MASSIVE post about from point A to a point B that still isnt near enought in my thoughts about the gaming Experiance Smile
I play from 5 years old ! Twisted Evil And......i aint ifted but im skilled a bit Smile

Shimmy_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 04:29    Post subject:  

Gaming started with my Dad with the old school pong and ataris, back when i was 3 years old. Then moved on to many other stuff consoles and pc.

but as far as FPS goes, it was the most fascinating part of gaming. RPGs and action games were fun too.

When it comes to multiplayer, I used to play quake 2 online alot, with 64 player maps and CTF. using a 28.8 kbps modem. That was heavenly. Then Unreal 1 came out,which introduced bots,which was amazing,no need for dial up and lag, then the lovely unreal tournament. then the amazing quake 3. in the mean time we used to play half life 1 at lan networks quite a bit, the battles were epic, at the same time an abomination of a mod called CS was in it's alpha stages, Team Fortress classic was a fan favorite too. then unreal tournament 2003 which was a disappointment, then UT2k4, heavenly, unreal 2 extended multiplayer was just pure bliss,then legend was sold by stupid atari and the servers went down, BF2 was intense but no face to face combat,the bombshell was Hl2. no mp in the beginning which shattered my heart, the day hl2dm came out is the day i ditched playing the single player,it was love at first sight.
Playing online was amazing,i sucked,till i got used to some weapons,then joining tsgk,was intense,as stick fever hit hard,and ever since hand to hand combat has never been nicer! now am getting used to ranged weapons.
on the console side, we had goldeneye/prefect dark on the n64, then on the ps2, we had the time splitter series, on the xbox the lovely halo.

back when the game was released,everyone was discovering new tricks,and we didnt even know how to catch combine balls "it was an advanced trick" then pikpik would import the new tricks of the trade, as for strafe jumping, the lovely Juice from Sanctuary of Warriors was very kind to teach me and plasmo the ways of the ninja,which made our stick skills even more deadly. no more running out of boost Razz

give it time,the skills will sink in,and what's nice about this game,everyday you will get to learn something new Very Happy

Illyria says: I am not going to explain why?you are too stupid to get it.

DeezNut$

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:59    Post subject:  

Awesome stuff guys!
I'm 36 and grew up with Atari's 2600 and Colecovision!
I was WAAAY into that stuff and was pretty good at it. (3 hrs. on Venture until the game crapped out!)
I cook 'nades fairly well and yeah, I do wanna hear about your 10+ years of gaming Freelancer! Laughing
DeezNut$

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:01    Post subject:  

Shimmy_TSGK wrote:
give it time,the skills will sink in,and what's nice about this game,everyday you will get to learn something new Very Happy

Very, very true...and thank you, awesome post!
Plasmo_TSGK
TSGK Member

Location: In the loving embrace of the tomfoolery of 3 chimps and a legion of angry lapps
Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11    Post subject:  

Hl2DM was also my first online FPS experience, and the only reason I started playing was because I was pretty bored, without many videogames, but with access to my college buddy's steam account Embarassed , which happened to have hl2 and hl2dm.

I learned pretty darn fast as I was playing a mere 5 hours a day at a minimum. During my first couple days I saw what I would eventually learn was the grav gun-grenade combo and wondered how the hell people did that. A couple days later I found the TSGK servers and forum, and learned how to grav nade. During the next couple weeks I worked on grav nading and got it down to a point where I could do it without killing myself too much. About 3 weeks after I started playing I decided to try out for TSGK and made it into the clan. After that it was all learning how to better kill and refining my ability to do so.

Then Juice came along and showed Shimmy and I strafe jumping (about 4 months after I started playing the game). I tried learning that for a couple of weeks, but eventually reverted to my former play style and worked on my killing. I would eventually go on to learning strafe jumping and bunny hopping. It was quite difficult and I saw a decrease in my performance at first (once you start strafe jumping everything becomes quite a bit faster) but have since learned it quite well and have spread the joys of strafe jumping to everyone I can.

Anywho, if you want to progress quickly, the best way to do it would be to find someone to teach you, or at least 1v1 with on a consistent basis (someone better than you). I remember Ghost Dog progressing quite quickly during our late-night frag sessions a few months ago. And if you have a chance to play small games with good players you will learn things about your game that you would not realize if you were on a full server. And you'll learn a few things just by paying attention to how they play rather than getting lost in the chaos of the full box.

Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:29    Post subject:  

I'll drink to that!
The Borg_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:47    Post subject:  

Hey i thought this was a post about online gaming, i started with the zx81 on a text only adventure game and then 48k spectrum, the like of manic miner, jetpac etc and then ....... (zx81 was brought out in 1981)... 26 yrs later my 3rd self built computer which is now 3yrs old and due an upgrade.

Plasmo_TSGK
TSGK Member

Location: In the loving embrace of the tomfoolery of 3 chimps and a legion of angry lapps
Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03    Post subject:  

Ghostdog82 wrote:
I'll drink to that!

I'll drink to THAT!

Xenon

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:57    Post subject:  

Judging by my name history on TSGK severs, I started in April 2006. But I didn't play on it that much until the second half of the year. I started to stick to TSGK servers because of the quake sounds, which I found incredibly hilarious at the start. I guess I quickly realised I kept losing fights when I pulled the SMG and started dancing around in circles, so moved on to gravity gunning. From there on I improved quite a bit, and started to lurk in the steamlab and council maps (I remember you Mr. Borg!). The trouble is, I developed a bad view on the gameplay- (Confession) thinking that all weapons except physics, crossbow and grenades were cheap and noobish. Crying or Very sad Thankfully I have now gotten out of this way of thinking and can freely whip out any gun providing it isn't the SMG/RPG.

Then in early 2007 fate screwed me over, in the form of Virgin Media. My poor internet meant I could only play at midday when I got home early from college but by then I had moved on to killboxes and council mostly. Trouble is, this lack of playing meant my skill was originally good, but levelled out as everyone else improved after vast hours online. Wink

Only now that I'm at University have I been able to play whenever I want. So slowly I'm catching up, though limited a little bit by nasty lagspikes when things get busy. And that's my story!

Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 13:05    Post subject:  

Nightwalker wrote:
DrBreen wrote:
|
|
|
|

Crazy i knew it all time you God now i see it Shocked

what!
Nightwalker
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 13:20    Post subject:  

So how it is standing there breen Wink Very Happy Shocked

Im a Noob Very Happy
ICQ Number 
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 13:49    Post subject:  

dude seriously wtf
Nightwalker
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 14:14    Post subject:  

Breen its just amazing how much games you play Very Happy
Sounds good thats some games that i have too play Wink

Im a Noob Very Happy
ICQ Number 
Xmeagol
Incontinent beast

Browser:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 14:15    Post subject:  

well i was 2 years old when i started playing super mario
Nightwalker
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 14:18    Post subject:  

me too Very Happy Very Happy

Im a Noob Very Happy
ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » TSGK General » General Discussion
Jump to: