TSGK Clan Forum Forum Index TSGK Clan Forum
Half-Life 2 : Deathmatch TSGK Clan forum.

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dablackdude989
March 27 1992 (32 year old)
JaMac
March 30 1981 (43 year old)
Vengeance_TSGK
April 01 1990 (34 year old)
 TSGK Member 
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 27 Mar 2024 Thu 28 Mar 2024 Fri 29 Mar 2024 Sat 30 Mar 2024 Sun 31 Mar 2024 Mon 01 Apr 2024 Tue 02 Apr 2024
Birthday dablackdude989  

Birthday JaMac  

Birthday Vengeance_TSGK  

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21
All times are UTC + 2 (DST in action)
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc2
Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts]  
Phil-Hull
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 22:46    Post subject:  dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc2  

DM-ROMANBOX_TSGK By <Phil-Hull>TSGK Support and Help from Sadist_TSGK & Osiris_TSGK

In The Beginning…..

A While ago I took upon the idea of mapping and I wanted to create a map for the TSGK community. This is the first map I have created.

I based the idea on a roman theme killbox, but with a twist! This one has a large pool in the central area of the map at ground level.

As time progressed, so did the map, Sadist_TSGK and Osiris_TSGK have helped me develop this into a beautiful map. I must thank them fully for all their hard work and support.

So after a long wait you guys, I proudly present to you DM_Romanbox_TSGK…..We hope this will bring lots of fun and laughs to the TSGK Community, enjoy!......

This is the second public release as RC2, the RC2 will be running on TSGK Serv IV, V, VI, XVII, XIX, XX and XXIII.
All feedbacks are welcome during the RC stage until the goldmaster version.

dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc2.rar
Description 
rar

Download 
Filename  dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc2.rar 
Filesize  1.8 MB 
Downloaded  642 Time(s) 
Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 22:58    Post subject:  

It is finally here, long live the caesar!

Map video coming soon.
dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc10005.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   189.84 KB
 Viewed   992 Time(s)

dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc10005.jpg

[AgC]Flushthetoilet
Sildenafil citrate consumer

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 00:05    Post subject:  

The map is well laid out and, being a killbox, very balanced.

however, I have a decent rig but could only manage about 30FPS, dropping to 19-20 in busy fights.

No idea why... just some feedback for you.

I briefly run :-

X2 dual core 4200
1 meg of some sort of shit hot ram.
nvidia 7900GT extreme.
ICQ Number 
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 00:36    Post subject:  

[AgC]Flushthetoilet wrote:
The map is well laid out and, being a killbox, very balanced.

however, I have a decent rig but could only manage about 30FPS, dropping to 19-20 in busy fights.

No idea why... just some feedback for you.

I briefly run :-

X2 dual core 4200
1 meg of some sort of shit hot ram.
nvidia 7900GT extreme.

That's a pretty low FPS for such a computer.
What about your water reflection option, is it full (water is definitly the reason of the FPS drop on this map)?

Thanks for the FPS feedbacks, we need to have more of them to get an average from different computer spec for that map.

Ghost Dog_TSGK
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 00:51    Post subject:  

I also have a drop in FPS in the middle I go from about 60 to 20 but I love the map.
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 01:31    Post subject:  

Well Phil, I gave this a good look at and I found it very smooth on my antique PC.... but I was the only player on it. I must say that it is a much more polished map than the previous version.

Some criticisms... and I suggest these thinking you want to know all possible views. I would suggest you remove anything modern like filing cabinets, radiators and barrels and replace them with busts, rubble and melons. If it's old then keep it old.

I'm not sure what the pool adds (except that it's pretty). What do you expect it to do in terms of gameplay? Is there an idea that you had for it? Same for the platforms that lead directly onto the area above the pool - what do they achieve? I ask this in complete ignorance of playing the map with others. For all I know they could be essential.

I love the ceiling and the textures are right for the theme. Well done - you have come a long way haven't you!

Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen with all the fat taken out
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 01:44    Post subject:  

Oh - I don't see it on the servers yet - no doubt this will happen soooooooon

Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 01:57    Post subject:  

The pool is extremely funny. Diving in to escape someone, only to have them follow you with an armed stick xD

bzzt

aahhhhhhhh

bzzt

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

bzzt

humiliation

hahahahahahahahahah
lmao

everytime i went in, that happened xD

Plus good for grabbing a combine ball and chucking it in the water Smile I think its there to add depth to the map.

Hmm i think i have to agree with you tho on the old style physics. Oh and btw how did that damn blade get in another map? Are people not fed up with this glitchey thing yet?? Fun to catch yes, but come on ppl its the worst part in every box, let it die xD The smaller blades are much better, much more tricky to catch and even better to aim with.

If anyone knows how to get objects out of 3d max and into valve format, id be happy to model you up some new physics objects. And i think el gringo has some funky physics objects ready for download as prefabs on the el website www.electro1337.de

But yes, im affraid i only get 22fps also and my water is on low.
Is the ball spawner brush ok? Maybe something has gone wrong there
func_detail func_detail xD

All in all, a very very nice map, very attractive, and well thouoght out. Obvious that alot of time and effort has gone in, congratulations to you for your very nice box (hmm that sounds a bit odd ^^)

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 05:18    Post subject:  

Fyckfaco wrote:
Is the ball spawner brush ok? Maybe something has gone wrong there
func_detail func_detail xD

Did you find a bug, if yes can you explain more about it?

Concerning the custom physics, it is obvious that it could never be done for 1 reason:
The FPS is already low on that map, adding custom physics as bust or any others complex old style physics will drop the FPS more than ever.
It is not the imagination or the possibility that were limited for that map, but what an average spec computer could support at this time.

The little sawblades are definitly nice physics but 1 thing is that they causes a ton of error when they get into a wall and can likely cause crash (well, maybe, but the engine is not know to be a stable one).
The big propeler blade may be temporary depending the feedback of everyone for that physic.

Until it still RC stage, any comments are appreciated (that for why it is in RC stage Wink).
Thanks a lot for the feedbacks and bugs reports.

eXs|DanielAndres

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:11    Post subject:  

Its really a nice Map and no doubts you put alot effort in. I get 50-60 FPS when i play alone, rarely below 40 FPS. and its only a ATI X1600 Pro with 256 Megs. No Idea why others (with better Graphic Cards) get less. Maybe it comes with the Playercount.

Its again Valve´s Fault that there arent any new and different looking Objects that would perfectly fit into different themens like your antique style. I cant imagine it would be that hard to create wooden Barrels as alternative for them.

I would suggest the following after i had a walkaround:
  • Get rid all "non antiqe Objekts" beside the basical needed Barrels <-- as still mentioned
  • Modify the T-Ramp on top that it wont become the usual camper spot. Many will load up to 200 Armor & drop Nades through the Roof of the Poolhouse all around the clock else.
  • Maybe you could form some brushes (like the long side of the ramp or the elevators) more organic and round instead of the straith design.
  • If there really must be a big health loader then better place it on a more dangerous place at bottom. It should be dangerous to use it.

@Fyck: As long there is a Ramp - there must be the big Blade to clean it comfortable in one jump. Razz You will rarely manage to wipe all 2 or 3 guys down there with a small blade. Wink

Only suggestions dudes - even without changes its a really cool Map. Smile

Edit: I love the underwater heaters in the Pool. Hot Thermals are 100% roman like, healthy and prevent getting a cold in winter. Laughing
Lawitz
TSGK Member

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 13:56    Post subject:  

I know I know I know, place the suit charger in the pool Twisted Evil
haven´t played it yet but looks great! Smile

Sadist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 17:28    Post subject:  

Hi guys, hope my answers are useful:

We placed the charger to get people using the top, if we placed it in the pool, the map would be unbalanced.

For the fps drop, I could explain that the source engine renders objects twice when placed in water (players, physics etc) so this would explain the slowdown when lots of players in the server.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Phil-Hull
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 21:27    Post subject:  

Hi everyone. As Osiris and [DMK] Sadist have said, this is romanbox's first release and we do appreciate your feedback to help improve it or iron out any problems (if) they arise (which they shouldnt Wink )

Phil
Xenon

Browser:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 21:53    Post subject:  

I played on it today, the underwater bit was really funny watching smg'ers look in horror as their weapon fails to work. On the other hand I got killed a lot through a false sense of security while submerged...

I really enjoyed it, the only bad things being the low fps + potential for camping (as mentioned) and the rising platforms sometimes were a bit buggy for me. One got stuck, briefly hovering about 1.5m above ground before snapping back in place. Ah but who am I to complain? Great map! Cool

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 22:14    Post subject:  

Concerning the camping possibility, it has been tested yesterday with a professional camper (couldn't say his name), even his spray has been made to camp...
He was trying to adopt the same technic as he did on dm_killbox_tsgk_v8 (and he is a pain on that map), he couldn't stay more than 5 seconds alive (only 5 players, Camper, Phat Bacon_TSGK, 2 real debutant players and me), he decided to find another camping spot and he failed again, finaly, he stopped trying to camp and we saw him on the floor most of the time which was absolutly unbelievable (then his game was definitly worse).
He ended the map with something like 15 - 30 (which was terrible for him, his global KpD is nearly 2.0).

The T plateform was the reason for why he couldn't camp at the charger and at the 357 (located at the merging point of the 3 paths), he couldn't save his back, front and side as there is no wall nearby (the T paths are going corner to corner and don't follow any wall direction).
He also tryed to camp on the narrow path following the 3 walls of the map, then he was confronted of the problem to be completly exposed to other players, he could save his back, but not his front or side.
He gave up for now.

The lifts bug has been noticed and will be fixed in the next release.

Knife
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 22:39    Post subject:  

Just wanna say that its a cool map. The atmosphere is unique Surprised
Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30    Post subject:  

Fair enough on the blade and the objects, good points made. Smile

Purhaps it is the light beam effects that are under water causing the fps drop. Perhaps a test would be to test the fps with and without them. Would be a shame tho coz they are sexy Very Happy

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:17    Post subject:  

Fyckfaco wrote:

Purhaps it is the light beam effects that are under water causing the fps drop. Perhaps a test would be to test the fps with and without them. Would be a shame tho coz they are sexy Very Happy

Yes, well, not really the light itself, but the water, it is an expensive water (in term of mapping, because very translucide and reflecting world), also as Sadist mentionned, when players or physics are inside the pool, the rendering become twice heavy as normal for the client.
We will work on that part of the map, the pools are the cause of FPS drop, no doubt and we may come soon with a fix for the RC2.
Thanks for your feedbacks.

Sadist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 19:45    Post subject:  

Fyckfaco wrote:

Yeah I would comfirm that. There is an option to have dynamic lighting attached to the 'light beams' but i made sure to turn that off, so the map has no dynamic lighting so should be fine. Spot lighting which is included may be something we will look at, but as Osi says water is the main concern...

Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 20:37    Post subject:  

dm_romanbox_tsgk_rc2 is out.

Fixed lifts getting stuck or acting wierd.
Improved FPS arround the pools.

MeekMeekle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 21:02    Post subject:  

just played rc1 yesterday.. ..and yeah I noticed that the lifts were sticking so good job!

I'm still wondering if going in the pool is useful at all? like in one hand you can be sneaky and run away but in the other you're vulnerable from orbs and fire from when you jump out.
Osiris_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 21:26    Post subject:  

MeekMeekle wrote:
just played rc1 yesterday.. ..and yeah I noticed that the lifts were sticking so good job!

I'm still wondering if going in the pool is useful at all? like in one hand you can be sneaky and run away but in the other you're vulnerable from orbs and fire from when you jump out.

Just humiliated 3 persons in a row inside the pool, they tryed to SMG me, but fire weapons doesn't work inside the pool.
Most of the time you will find physics in the bottom of the pool, if someone fire at you from the outside, all you have to do is to pop up on his face with the physics.
Whatever inside or outside the pool, this will not reduce your chance to not be vulnerable from orbs, actually if you are near the orb generator when someone is releasing an orb you may prefere to dive in the pool instead trying to run away (execpt if you can manage to grab it back).
Navigating in the pool is easy but since few map doesn't feature water gameplay it will be a new thing for a lot of players especialy in a killbox.
Considere pools like a trap or helpfull place.

Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 23:55    Post subject:  

The pool is new gameplay certainly, play it some more and you will see how the advantages and disadvantages balance out. Its a good way to escape, and crossbows are very effective underwater. Try not to use the blade tho haha!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 07:08    Post subject:  

the pool is a great addition to gameplay for sure
i've had multiple crowbar kills down there
i noticed that large debris like the red cart, propeller, and radiators end up in the water after numerous fights above it
amazing when escaping from a fight on land and popping back up with a large killing object (i find that attackers new to the water concept avoid entering after i jump in)
another observation is that people fighting underwater (usually with the stick) are oblivious to dangers above them - easy targets for multikill grenade tosses/launches

beautiful map!
Diet H2O_TSGK
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 15:30    Post subject:  

I played this last night with Knife, and I have to say that up until then I did not give the map sufficient attention. But last night I really appreciated it. Of course, having a game with Knife is always a gg but the map added to the enjoyment immensely. It has plenty of variety in terms of tactics and gameplay and you have learn the map a bit making it nicely challenging. I really really liked it. Nice one.

Knife
TSGK Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 21:25    Post subject:  

Diet H2O wrote:
I played this last night with Knife, and I have to say that up until then I did not give the map sufficient attention. But last night I really appreciated it. Of course, having a game with Knife is always a gg but the map added to the enjoyment immensely. It has plenty of variety in terms of tactics and gameplay and you have learn the map a bit making it nicely challenging. I really really liked it. Nice one.

Indeed, it was a fun game Smile
Here a pic of Diet trying to control the balls Wink
Diet in Romanbox.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   136.84 KB
 Viewed   723 Time(s)

Diet in Romanbox.jpg

Fyckfaco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 23:56    Post subject:  

Has the 357 up the top been sorted out? I noticed that rc1 it did not respawn, and was imune to ggun. Part of the same bug i think, tho not really a bug, just a silly option that sometimes enables in hammer when lots of work gets done to a map.

Sadist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 00:35    Post subject:  

Never noticed that. Ill check it out. thanks

Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts]  
 Forum index » TSGK General » Maps
Jump to: